DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 GMC Yukon. I would like to use either a 7" or 8" Midbass in my stock door location, glassed in. I would like a dome midrange that will go in custom kick panels. Then I planned on using a dome tweeter in my A-Pillars. Price is really no object since most of this stuff DIY style is very affordable. I will be using either DLS, ARC Audio or Zed Audio amps and probably 2 Peerless XXLS12 subs in the back. I listen to all types of music but mostly classic rock and 80's and also stuff like Dave Matthews...Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was looking at doing a 3-way setup in an upcoming BMW project. My plan was:

Seas L18RNX/P 6.5" Alum Cone
LPG 51AT 2" Al Dome
LPG 25NFA 1" Textile Dome
JL 10W6v2 Sub

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats exactly, pretty much what i was looking at doing, except i was planning on running the l22 8" in the door. I cant really decide if it is worth it to do a 3-way compared to a 2-way. I was also thinking about doing the 50fa textile dome midrange. My installer is going to be Steven Head of Audionutz in Ocala, FL and he likes to use soft dome midranges, so i dont know. If i went 2-way, i could get away with just running a single 4 channel amp, probably an ARC Audio 4150-XXK and then a single amp for my sub(s). I dont want to use ribbons because i think it would be too much of a hassle to install them, even though i do have lots of space in my Yukon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
My thought was to use the metal dome mid instead of textile for better low end range (keeping the majority of the image centered around the mids/tweets that will be mounted higher). The soft dome mids are supposed to have a little better high end range/clarity, but I don't see how that matters if you're using a 1" tweeter of some sort anyway that will be crossed over inside the usable range of the dome mid (~4kHz).

My plan was to go with passive crossovers on a single 2 or 4 channel front amp for simplicity/weight in the trunk. Separate mono block amp for the sub as well.

Midbass fitment really just boils down to how much room/volume you have available. The 6.5/7" setup is all I'd really have room for in the Bimmer without losing the dead pedal.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
masse1369 I will be using either DLS said:
Although I now run DLS A3s, I used to own Arc Audio cxl 2100s and a 2500. In the end, I think the Arcs were a tad cleaner and had more efficient output.

Have you considered the newly designed US Amps, especially the AX line? I am going to be selling my A3s (so hit me up if interested) to get a TU600 and a mono amp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.