DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm in the middle of setting up my latest system and was noticing i tune a lot by listening to the same Reference tracks i have for years. Nothing is wrong with these tracks as i'm very intimate with them and know what they should sound like, so as tools they are phenomenal. I'm more just wondering.....

What are your Favorite tracks to tune to, once the "heavy lifting" is out of the way?

here's my list: and reason why i love these songs to evaluate systems by:

• Serengetti Walk by david grusin |the progressive beat is steady and each stanza increases in dynamic range.
  • Hotel California off of hell freezes over by the eagles| one of the best recordings ever
  • Crush off of before these crowded streets by Dave matthews band| intro walking bass line is the stuff dreams are made of
  • yyz of of the live rio album remastered by Rush|HUGE DYNAMIC RANGE, from the tiny cymbal hits in the begining to the massive bass hits at the end
  • We do what we can of off Tuesday night music club by sheryl crow| i'm not sure there has been a more Sultry unprocessed female voice ever recorded. you can just about smell the smoke in the room and feel the sax on the back of your neck as it moans at you .

So what are your favorites and why?

I'd love to know....

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I put in Dave Matthews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming, which is one of the first dozen CDs I ever bought, to test my system recently. It keeps blowing my mind at how great this album sounds. I have listened to it countless times and it's just wonderful on a good sound system.

Another great sounding CD from my teenage years is Tool - Aenima. I saw this on a list of best mastered albums, and it's deserving of that honor.

A third phenomenal album to test a system is A Perfect Circle - The Thirteenth Step. I like the track "Vanishing" for a test of wide dynamic range. When the very quiet intro transitions into loud percussion those tom hits are thunderous.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Hotel California (unplugged) is a really nice recording indeed ;)

Might wanna take a look at these discs, they contain a few good dynamic recordings:

Yello - Touch Yello (2009)
Infected Mushroom - Converting Vegetarians (2003)
Faith No More - King for a Day Fool For a Lifetime (1995)
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine (1992)

Diana Krall have some nice live disc too, can't remember the name though =/

·
Registered
2 Posts
For frequency range i use Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon
Melody Gardot -"if the stars were mine" is an awesome track for vocals
For dynamics i use Dragonfly psytrance compilations (i have 2)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Here's my 3 track contribution:
- Sting "Shape of my Heart" found on in Leon The Professional Soundtrack
- Celtic Woman "You Raise Me Up"
- Vivaldi "4 Seasons - Presto" Telarc Recording

·
Registered
35 Posts
I could name a bunch that have mostly been discussed in other similar threads but today, I picked up MTV Unplugged - Alice in Chains. Every song seems to test my system in different ways. Excellent CD. Another good CD is Coil by Toad The Wet Sprocket.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try the "Immaculate Collection" by Madonna. Track 15 Vogue is an especially nice test for any system.

·
Registered
183 Posts
-10000 maniacs Speak to Me Live unplugged
-Metallica Blackened boomtastic substages will destroy this song along with most other early metallica
-Pink Floyd Breathe
-Tori Amos Cloud on my Tongue
-Nirvana Oh Me live unplugged

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know this wont be alot of y'all cup of tea but I've been listening to alot of "dubstep" music lately.. Has alot of highs, mids & bass.. Even has sudden bass drops.. I can't spell the artists names because they cater to mostly ravers but maybe you should check out "Cracks", "Bass Cannon" & "Haunted".. IJS, they'll test your system.. Might make you say WTF while doing it but still, give it a try..

·
Banned
15 Posts
Shania Twain: "From This Moment On" -Love Female Vocals, soft Guitar:)
Kc & JoJo: "Crazy" -R&B is always good.

& that I Jam out to Baby Alice: "Pina Colada Boy" -lol

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Tori Amos, Boys for Pele. The whole album. VERY dynamic music and she records in the best of places with the best equipment. She, herself, is a SQ recorder, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
360 Posts
My current favourite is the remastered sacd version for the Art of Noise's - "Moments in Love" excellent track for imaging and detail.

Reactions: atxtrd

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
days of new the first album they put out is amazing madonna greatist hits , tool anima, tool schism , i recently got huey lewis and news greatist hits and it sound awsome to!!!
rage against the machine , fleet wood mac greatist hits so crazy good. i am big nine inch nails fan and gary numen .

·
Registered
81 Posts
My favorite 2 CD's are

Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Live - Throwing Copper.

I've listened to both so many times on different systems that I can easily pin point differences between systems with these two disk.

·
Registered
834 Posts
You want a midbass test...

Fuel - Slow. That whole album is pretty well recorded. Of course, Norah Jones is a good listen.

·
Registered
840 Posts
You want a midbass test...

Fuel - Slow. That whole album is pretty well recorded. Of course, Norah Jones is a good listen.
I see your midbass and raise you a Deftones-Diamond Eyes :D

1 - 20 of 121 Posts