DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am winding down from a very long install and finally got to hear my first pair of HAT 6.5 Imagine Components I got in last Friday... AWESOME btw.. However..

I found that if the car is ON, not in accessory, the driver's side front door speaker and tweeter make an unbearable hissing sound just loud enough that it's audible at normal listening levels. I DID test them a little bit and it is kinda drowned out by the amazing midbass of the HATs quality when turned up.... Also noticed that when the car accellerates the hissing gets higher as if the dentist just turned up the drill to get down to business or cranking up the speed on a dremel :eek:.

First of all both twisted RCAs are ran on the opposite side of the car than the 0ga power wire and remote wire. The left side's(driver's side/problem side's) speaker wire is inevitably ran directly on top of the RCAs however.. Not sure if THAT would cause hissing..

One last thing. I remember when i yanked the crappy ol' pioneer 600w 4chan out of my old car... two of the rca inputs that are attached to the amp came off and were lost in translation. The new RCAs seemed to fit in fine without them and just figured it was just for a more tight fit, but think that could be the problem?

Thanks in advance
-Gabriel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is killing me lmao! Anyone have ANY ideas or places I should check?ill upload pictures of the missing inputs on the RCAs input momentarily... Think that is the culprit?

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Most likely. The shield is the outer part of the RCA wire and plug. It has to be grounded by the HU or the amplifier preamp can not properly read the input signal. Remember for an audio signal or DC power the ground is the base measure of that signal; the 'reference'. You can't tell you have 12v in a car if you do not measure to ground right? Hard to tell how tall you are if you don't measure to the floor you stand on. The amp measures your HU signal to ground to know how big the signal is, it can't use the amp ground because it might be different and that is what a 'ground loop' is; the difference in a ground from elsewhere. The ground must be from where ever the signal was produced (the HU) and since the RCA signal is so small it is pretty important.

I think you mean the outer ring on the amp RCA plug, some of them just clip in there. You have to get them back in. If the RCA fits on there real tight I throw them away and get different ones. Use what you want but often I wipe my face with my fingers and that tiny amount of oil on the RCA ring will help the plug slide on/off better so this does not happen. Really tight RCA ends will trash the plug on the amp eventually and are not necessary, plus you can break the plug or board solders in the equipment.

For a temporary fix if you have 4 RCA inputs and two still have rings, you can wind/attach a small wire to connect all four of the outer rings. Do not let the wire contact the amp case or anything else. That should work but depends on how the preamp is made.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
if the noise is only there when the car is on and it varyies with engine speed, then that is sound ALOT like a ground loop.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I try not to correct grammar lmao but it's A LOT (my teacher in 5th grade rammed that into our heads by saying "a" on one side of the room, then proceeded to run to the other side of the room and said "lot"... He did this like 15xs in a row and said, "you laugh now, but this is what my teacher did for me and I never forgot it".. Lmao.. 14yrs later at 26 years old and it is still a vivid memory...) it actually turned out to be the RCA inputs... So I posted a pic of what I did so you can KINDA see..

Basically when the amp was uninstalled and the RCAs were pulled out the red and white connector inputs came off of the amp. The rcas still fit over the plastic so I just hooked em up and got that hissing/squealing sound only on the passenger side.

To Remedy this ailment I just took some needle-nose pliers and yanked off the two red and white connectors that were on the amp for "output" and just fitted them into the two missing input holes. Turned out great and am floored at the quality of product HAT puts. But nonetheless I really appreciate the reply's! Much thanks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
lol............alot of people say that (see how I used it wrong again, i do that alot............alot alot alot :p)

so it was a ground problem ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts