DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea how best to run speaker wires to the top of the dash (near the windshield) from below? I'll be placing some Valicar pods up there, but not sure my best bet on how to feed the wires. When I first got the car 15 years ago, I had a shop do the install. As can be seen in one of the photos, there is a SiriusXM antenna sitting up there, but I'm not sure how they actually got the wiring through. I assume there's some way to pop up the top cover, but I'm hesitant to try prying it up without any knowledge, as there is no obvious way to do it. In the short-term, I'm fine with the wires draping over the top while I play with angles & tuning, but definitely would like a cleaner look than that.

· Registered
10,773 Posts
I'm not familiar with that specific car, and the trim you're working with, but in general feed the wires from the top down. Once you feed it through the spot you want them look under the dash to find where they come out, and run them wherever you need to from there. It'll be much easier to feed them down than to try to push them up through a tiny hole/gap.

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ooh, thanks. That's what I assumed, but glad for confirmation. It's all very tightly positioned. At the moment, I'm planning on just using Velcro to hold the pods, as I should be able to place Velcro under the pods & against the A-pillar. Not sure that will be stable & secure enough - otherwise probably bolted through A-pillars + Velcro underneath. That would require removing the A-pillar trim, which I've never done. Not sure if they can be removed without removing the top of dash. There are airbags in the pillars, a little nervous about messing with that. Fun learning about all this, though.

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And just realized how dusty my dash is!

· Registered
470 Posts
That sat antenna wiring is most likely run behind the a pillar and down the side of the dash behind the door seal. The tab with the SRS on it will have screw behind it, then the pillar will pop out at the top/middle and slide up and then out at the bottom.

· Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So pop the oval SRS piece with a pry tool, remove the exposed screw, pry pillar cover from the top until it's free to lift out? Thanks, that's a relief! I've gotten comfortable removing trim pieces, but nothing involving an airbag, so this is great news.

And since it looks like the pillar cover should be removed to run the wires, might as well add the mounting to the pillar. Since it's a midrange pod, thus heavier than a tweeter, I'm thinking maybe Velcro or double-sided tape or some other way to allow the weight to be supported below and help keep it stationary, although I'm not sure that's the ideal way to go. Still have to receive the pods to get a clearer picture of how they'll sit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.