DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some new artists/songs to listen to. Digging the low tone, sort of dark and powerful female vocals where you can really feel the emotion in the words.

Let me know what you guys recommend. Dark, edgy, profane, leaning towards rock/metal is preferred.

This is an old song from Meg Myers, but one I have been listening to lately. I've checked out a bunch of her other stuff, but it tends to get too "poppy" and can sound overproduced.

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking for more post 2000 stuff or any years?

I'm an 80's child, and don't really connect with much music before my generation, but then again if it fits the criteria I'm down for a listen. Looking to dip my toes in outside of my typical go to's. Generally metal based.

I.e. Kittie, Spiritbox, Otep, Kerli (before she got into pop) Angelspit, etc..

Another example of a particular song from a particular artist

· Registered
2,014 Posts
Not really rock, more towards blues, but Tracy Chapman has an amazing voice!
I've also been listening to a lot of Dolores O'Riordan (Cranberries) and Natalie Merchant (solo as well as 10,000 Maniacs)

Reactions: Holmz

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One of my fav female singers...

This sounds great. I like the progression especially in the UMAI track at around 2:40 where the violin and all the rest of the instruments kick in. Very dynamic.

Looking forward to hearing more. I'll be out away from internets today, but will be diving back in on Sunday when I return.

Keep 'em comin!

· Registered
4,298 Posts
I'm an 80's child, and don't really connect with much music before my generation, but then again if it fits the criteria I'm down for a listen. Looking to dip my toes in outside of my typical go to's. Generally metal based.

I.e. Kittie, Spiritbox, Otep, Kerli (before she got into pop) Angelspit, etc..

Another example of a particular song from a particular artist

I feel like you might be familiar with Halestorm, but if you're not, you should be.

Reactions: MrHarv

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some great suggestions, thank you!

I totally forgot about Fiona Apple, I haven't heard that name in like 20 years.

That cover of black hole sun was, well, interesting. She has a fantastic voice, but I am very partial to the original it's one of my all time favorites.

The recording on the London Grammar track is top notch. That was unexpected coming from a radio station studio.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
Paramore and Evanescence perhaps.

Plumb might be to your liking too. She has some darker sounding songs.

In My Arms

Cut

Need You Now

Those are three of her's I've liked. I don't listen to much English music these days, so I'm not sure whom you may like that's still quite active.

Doubt you're interested in Japanese music. That's what I primarily listen to these days.

If you are willing, perhaps you'd like Brave Shine by Amir.

Or perhaps Toki Tsukasadoru Juuni No Meiyaku by PHANTASM

· Registered
1,571 Posts
I had the pleasure of listening to Donna Missal perform live in NCY at a small bar of ~50 people, before she morphed into what she is now. Watching and listening to her perform "Keep Lying" was the most intense live musical experience I ever witnessed! Her words were tearing out of her mouth and her vocals were bone chilling.

She raises the hairs on my arms still just thinking about that performance. You can somewhat experience the same thing by watching this video.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts