DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ferrules... where have you been all my life?

I've worked 30+ years in the electrical industry, and have been doing car audio for about as long.
It's not like I didn't know what ferrules were... just never used them.
To make things even stupider; I own a ferrule crimp tool (that I've never used)

Today, I was at the local electronics shop getting stuff for a totally unrelated project, when I spotted the ferrules.
They were cheap, so I bought a few packs. 16awg for the speaker wires, and bare 4awg ones for the power wire.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that; I've gotten along just fine not using ferrules for the past 30 years...
But they look cool. Tidy things up. And offer a degree of protection to the power wire.
I'm junked on ferrules now!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I thought the same thing - and in most cases, they probably are awesome, but they didn't work out well for my JL Audio XD600/6v2 amp... I put them on the speaker wires going into the amp, but the ferrules weren't long enough for this amp and caused the speaker terminal "clamp down" system to fail after I tightened them down on the ferrule. It seems the JL Audio speaker wire terminals require a longer length of "bare speaker wire" (manual specifically mentions that!) than most amps and the JL wire clamping setup didn't like them (when I went to remove the speaker wires to reset gains, the JL "clamps" just fell off.)..

So I gave up on ferrules for the time being. :) I loved them until that happened though!

·
Registered
732 Posts
They're life changing for me. Amp install/removal is a breeze. Not only do you not lose any wire strands but you're no longer having to check to make sure any loose strands are shorting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
I thought the same thing - and in most cases, they probably are awesome, but they didn't work out well for my JL Audio XD600/6v2 amp... I put them on the speaker wires going into the amp, but the ferrules weren't long enough for this amp and caused the speaker terminal "clamp down" system to fail after I tightened them down on the ferrule. It seems the JL Audio speaker wire terminals require a longer length of "bare speaker wire" (manual specifically mentions that!) than most amps and the JL wire clamping setup didn't like them (when I went to remove the speaker wires to reset gains, the JL "clamps" just fell off.)..

So I gave up on ferrules for the time being. :) I loved them until that happened though!
Have you tried the non insulated ferrules?
17D9CC55-CC71-4DD2-993B-763048E50544.jpeg

The barrel will sit flush with the speaker wire’s outer sheath and allow the cable + ferrule to slide all the way into the deeper terminal.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Have you tried the non insulated ferrules?
The barrel will sit flush with the speaker wire’s outer sheath and allow the cable + ferrule to slide all the way into the deeper terminal.
Very good point! I actually have some non-insulated ferrules here, but they are for larger wires (mainly bought them for power wires). The main reason why I didn't of think of this is that originally, I thought that the problem was related to the increased "resistance" of the ferrules compared to bare wire - meaning that I thought the JL amp terminal "clamps" broke because the ferrules took more pressure to "compress" than bare wire.

However, about 2 weeks ago when I had to un-install and re-install my amp board, I realized that the problem was how far the ferrules went into the speaker terminals and had nothing to do with the amount of pressure needed to "compress" the ferrules. The ferrules that I used for the speaker wires originally were the insulated type - and they just didn't go into the JL speaker terminals far enough (the 'insulated' part was too big to allow them to go in any further), which is the real reason I had issues.

So yes - uninsulated ferrules would probably work perfectly - thank you for mentioning that! I'd much rather use ferrules.

The wire "claiming system" on the JL audio amp is probably the only thing that I don't like about my XD600/6v2 amp. I wish they just used set screws like everyone else instead of their "2 piece" wire "clamps", which are prone to "breaking" if a wire isn't inserted far enough. Just seems like a poor design to me. Now that I know their limitations, I can work around it, but would rather not have to deal with them in the first place. It's deceiving just how far you need to put the wires in on this amp - they have to go in much further than you originally realize due to their design.

Anyyway, thank you again for mentioning the uninsulated ferrules! I'll be ordering some in the correct size today! :)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I'm a ferrule guy myself, but don't forget tinned speaker wire sometimes works well to hold well at the amp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve had too many wires come out of ferrules. ( probably my own ignorance ). I much prefer tinning the wire. Running also stiffens the insulated wire for a good lead into the amp.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Maybe you could use heat shrink tubing to secure the ferrule to the wire before you torque it down in the connection?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
529 Posts
Maybe you could use heat shrink tubing to secure the ferrule to the wire before you torque it down in the connection?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
If you have to do that there is not a very good mechanical connection between ferrule and cable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts