DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im redoing my frontstage and i have a few options and was owndeirng what do you guys think would be best..

my collection of equipment at the moment (not in my car) consists of 8 matching 6.5's from some home project.. (i was 3 per door for mid bass at the moment), another set of higher quality 6.5s, four 3 inch mids, and two tweeters.

my first question would have to be tweeter direction.. im defently gonna be placing my tweeters in the kicks, but since i only have so much time to expierment. what seems to generally have better results, on axis, off axis, aimed towards the middle, aimed towards eachother, aimed upwards.. ect..

and my second question would be if i should go for a 2 or 3 way setup.. i would do the 3 way, using the 3's, i could get them more or less on axis and have much more ability to aim them, unlike a 6.5. but my main problem is the voice coil in the 3 inch mids and im afraid about thermal limitations. they're only .75 inches. I used to pair them up so it gave me a 1.5 inch coil and on top of that, theres no way im gonna be able to fit both of the 3's in the kicks, with the tweeter unless maybe i moved the tweeter kinda to the floor right in front of em. or off axis behind them =\

i cant fit a 6.5 in my kicks with the wiring and clutch, so my other options would be, i could install the tweeters in the kicks and use the door for a 6.5 midrange followed by 2 more midbasses behind it.

sorry if this is a little longer and i thank anyone that read it this far lol. any suggestions will also be appreciated

·
Registered
501 Posts
1. No one can tell to how you tweeters are going to sound in your car. Experiment.

2. No one can tell you if you should go 2 way or 3 way. What are your goals?
If you need more output than a 2 way can provide, then go 3 way. A 2 way front should be able to reproduce every frequency from ~80Hz - ~20 kHz, and get plenty loud. There is no need for 3 midbasses in each door... But whatever :rolleyes:

What kind of processing do you have? I wouldn't even attempt a 3 way unless I had active processing that I can tweak from the drivers seat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. No one can tell to how you tweeters are going to sound in your car. Experiment.

2. No one can tell you if you should go 2 way or 3 way. What are your goals?
If you need more output than a 2 way can provide, then go 3 way. A 2 way front should be able to reproduce every frequency from ~80Hz - ~20 kHz, and get plenty loud. There is no need for 3 midbasses in each door... But whatever :rolleyes:

What kind of processing do you have? I wouldn't even attempt a 3 way unless I had active processing that I can tweak from the drivers seat.
well the main reason i used 3 is because of thermal limits and to keep em from bottoming out sometimes.. which is what happened if i used one or two (300 watts per side) and i dont like crossing higher than 60-80 =\

processing im kinda limited on till i get a new HU, i do got two independant 30 band eq's... no T/A tho.. but i would be able to run the midbasses active (the tweet /midrange will prob be passive for now)

i hear ya on how the 2 way setup should be fine, but like i said in my previous post, its so much easier to get the 3's aimed better, instead of at my ankles, which is the real reason im thinking about it...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wow! you really love midbass :laugh:

Me too. If you brows through some of my early post, it was all about my quest for more midbass.

Are you sure your midbasses are set up properly?

Do you have 6.5"s that are known for good midbass?

Do you have local mini meets in your area where you can demo a proper install?

If 2 sets of midbass aren't loud enough for you, you need to see a doctor immediately :D

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
There's nothing wrong with multiple midbasses per door.

Well, that's not entirely true. There are some downsides. But it's still badass, and I think you should do it for that reason alone. :)

If you're concerned about the thermal limitations of a 3" driver... well, you should be. Highpass them where you feel they would be safe, and then allow the badass midbass setup to do its thing.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
If 2 sets of midbass aren't loud enough for you, you need to see a doctor immediately :D
Psssh. I'd guess about 90% of the cars in here have inadequate midbass for my needs. Everyone goes thin on midbass. I don't understand why. Maybe they're not as rock n' roll as I am. I'm pretty ****ing rock n' roll. I've got long hair and everything.

Seriously... three sets of midbass... that's pretty ballsy. I kinda wish I had the urge to cut holes in my door panels. I'd probably do something similar.

In my last car I had 4 XLS8's going at once. They're not worth the forum boner, but it was still good. Until I smoked one. That's about the time I went XBL^2 and never looked back.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Psssh. I'd guess about 90% of the cars in here have inadequate midbass for my needs. Everyone goes thin on midbass. I don't understand why. Maybe they're not as rock n' roll as I am. I'm pretty ****ing rock n' roll. I've got long hair and everything.

Seriously... three sets of midbass... that's pretty ballsy. I kinda wish I had the urge to cut holes in my door panels. I'd probably do something similar.

In my last car I had 4 XLS8's going at once. They're not worth the forum boner, but it was still good. Until I smoked one. That's about the time I went XBL^2 and never looked back.
I'm pretty rock n' roll too, and I also have long hair.

I was gona put 8"s in my doors, cut metal, go 3 way front, all in the name of more midbass. I decided to try the Rainbow Profi Kicks 6.5" first an I never looked back.

I think it would be baddass to have 3 sets of midbass. But I think its usually done for show, or as a bandaid.

I just want people to be informed that they can have balanced/snappy/ even exaggerated midbass from a single set of properly installed 6.5"s.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well they arent known for being dedicated mids, honestly they're just a good deal i got from parts express.. yeah 3 might be too many but it does help with the sub blending.

i have a set of peerless sls 6.5's too , but after about 150 watts, they start to hit thermal limitations, i love em tho, too poor for another set right now otherwise i would double em up..and i got a set of tang band 6.5 subwoofers but they arent sensative enough..

but like i was saying the mids i got are defently not "midbass" speakers, but they are decently sensative, dont have a huge magnet like the sls (which means more metal out of my door) and togther have over 3 inch voice coil, so it works out pretty well with some tuning.

and yea like a previous post said, i did have to chop alot of my door up (and some metal behind it) i plan on driving this car to the ground so.. it came out pretty good.. i just really regret my tweeter position. i had my tweets in the kicks forever, but tried moving them to the side to widen my stage. it has some benefits, but i think im going back to the kicks.

i wanted to put two 8's but that extra inch and a half is killer really.. height wise

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heres a pic, i know it looks dirty, but this was taken like right after i did it and have saw dust all over it... (and i gotta paint the screws)

and like i said, before you make fun of me, i know the tweeter position sucks, i was just trying it out really to widen my stage.. the shape of my cars interior causes alot of problems.. the driver side speaker feels like its playing right in front of me, and the passenger sounded like it was coming from the side of me (even with the tweets in the kicks) so i tried this out.. but im going back to the kicks

actually on this setup, i have the front speaker playing full range (well like 60-3.2kz) with the back too just playing 60hz-250ish

what i really wanna do is get a piece of like sheet metal and redo my door so i can seal it better then go from there, like the poster above me said, it is psosible to get very very solid midbass from one set of 6.5s.. but you also have to have a very good ensclosure for it.. and most doors without a *ton* of work, arent.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice fab work, really :)
yeah it looks alot better in person, the camera picks up everything, just that one cut to the right on the door panel i messed up a little.. but whatever, its looks really clean otherwise and you really have to be picking to see that. and considering all i have is a dremel and a jigsaw lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts