DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I just got my type r 12's sold today and I'm ready for my replacement! I'm pretty set on an Fi SSD, but I'm not sure on the size. It's going in an SUV so space isn't an issue. I'll be building my own box (ported) I really want the 18, but I'm worried it won't be responsive enough compared to the 15 since they will be on the same power. I know the 18 will be louder, but I feel like the 15 will give more punch and sound "tighter". Let me know what you think, I'll be ordering on Monday. It will be going on a Hifonics 1200D at 1 ohm.

·
Napoleon of DIYMA
846 Posts
have you notice that the motor for the 10 is the same for the 18... this worry me.

With a tiny motor like that for the 18 i wouldn't recommend if you are looking for a fast and accurate since i have doubt that motor magnetic flux will be enough for the mass of the 18 (even 15...).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didnt notice that but it makes me worry for sure. I've heard good things about the SSD's but it seems odd the only thing they're changing is cone size. Anyone used the SSD's that has some input on this? Maybe I should get the 10! LOL

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Two tens have about the same same amount of cone area as one 15 but with twice the motor. So you can get the out of a single 15 and still have control.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dont have the money for two SSD 10's though. Decided to cough up the extra money for a BL 15. Hopefully I'll be happy with it, I'll be comparing it to two ported type R 12's. I'll post up some pics when I get it but with a 10-15 day build time its gonna be a while. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts