DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a box that is sealed that has about .50cuft and my subwoofer needs at least .60cuft for optimum performance. How much, pounds etc., of poly fill should I use to simulate a bigger sealed box?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
not sure how much effect you will get. but 1 lb per cuft is a good rule of thumb. any more and you are just taking up space. should yeild a 20% increase at most.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 lb per cuft so if I'm trying to get .10 more cuft how much would that be...sorry my brain is fried today.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You might not be able to meet the 1 lb/1 cu. ft. recommendation depending on how much space is left in the box after you mount the subwoofer. Try to put in 1/2 lb of the loose polyfill and don't stress it if you don't feel comfortable putting all of it in. The point of it isn't to simulate exactly an additional x amount of cubic air, it's just to fudge the air space a bit with science.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might not be able to meet the 1 lb/1 cu. ft. recommendation depending on how much space is left in the box after you mount the subwoofer. Try to put in 1/2 lb of the loose polyfill and don't stress it if you don't feel comfortable putting all of it in. The point of it isn't to simulate exactly an additional x amount of cubic air, it's just to fudge the air space a bit with science.
Thanks for the insight....going to .60 from .50 isn't reasonable is it?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
1 lb per 1 cf. So, 1/2 lb for 1/2 cf for the same 20% increase.
And 20% of .50 cf is .10 cf, so do 1/2 lb and you'll be right on target.
I'm in the middle of reading Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker design cookbook" 5th edition. It's the only edition I could find at a library. I'm just now at the point where they discuss stuffing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts