Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hat l6se

I decided to make a base and then a speaker ring ontop of it. Now to figure how to make it look good.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does not fit :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speaker ring is mounted to the door and the grill cover is not even an option here.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
What is the end result your looking for? Completely covered and stealthy, or a nice transition from the door card to the speaker ring, leaving it exposed?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would love to keep the driver exposed and fix w/e around it. I thought of taking a fabric and covering the whole door's lower portion. I would take out the armrest portion, tuck the fabric under it to look clean and just wrap the rest around the back side of the door but finding a way to cover the speaker area is just IDK what to do >_<. I decided to mount the speaker on metal instead of the plastic so my speakers would sound better and do better but in return I get a harder way to make it look good.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
I would love to keep the driver exposed and fix w/e around it. I thought of taking a fabric and covering the whole door's lower portion. I would take out the armrest portion, tuck the fabric under it to look clean and just wrap the rest around the back side of the door but finding a way to cover the speaker area is just IDK what to do >_

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
^^^ sorry about that, I quoted you and typed a reply below... Only thing that showed up was your quote.:confused:

Exposed would prob be easier, so that's good.:D

Couple ?'s though... Is the ring glassed to the door skin and just exposed through the card, or is it glassed to the card (panel) and removable with the card?

I can't really tell from your pics.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The ring and base plate is glassed together. Then it is screwed onto the metal of the door and then the plastic door sits right ontop of it for easy removing/modding.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
What I would try is... Get yourself some thin wood, abs, or mdf and make a frame that sits nice in the card opening. Maybe 1/4 wide or less, could rabbit it on the back side to kinda sit down into the opening, or flush on top... Your call.

Then route a thin ring that's the od of your speaker ring. Do I nice round over on the inside radius.While the card is mounted and the trim frame is on, use dowel, stiff wire, anything to attach that new ring to the frame, so it lines up over your baffle.

This will make sure the ring stays where it needs to be when you remove the frame. Then stretch some spandex over it... Ca glue or staple it to the rear of the frame and ring. Then resin it. Once hardened, remove the ring supports. You can also leave them if they don't get in the way (more support).
Put some layers of fg on the backside to get some thickness and structural strength. Wouldn't hurt to also put some deadener back there too.
Then do a lite layer of body filler on the outside... Sand to perfection, and finish however you like. Paint, vinyl, etc...

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lost on your idea and can't visualize it >_< ^

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Now that I think of it, you can fg the frame to it too. Would prob be easier and a better fit also.

Pull your card and tape around the opening, front and back. Tape down several inches. Rub some vasoline on taped area for mold release.
But some fg strips inch or so wide and lay it down around the opening. Next layer, fold a quarter of that strip down inside the opening, but not all the way to the back side. This will give you that ridge that fits into the opening. Do a few alternating layers like that.

When dry, pull the frame and trim it to a nice shape. Trim the inside lip nice and smooth. Then work on the ring and such...

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Lost on your idea and can't visualize it >_< ^
Wish I wasn't on my phone, I'd draw something up to illustrate it for ya...

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Basically, your making a new factory grill shape, but just the outside frame. Then your suspending a ring in it with something like stiff wire or wood dowels.
Then you stretch spandex fabric over it to get your outside shape. Resin that and build it up from behind.

·
Premium Member
1,775 Posts
Please excuse the hand drawings. Lol
This would be the frame with the top ring suspended. This would be what you stretch the spandex over.
The x's are locations you could secure the ring to the frame.

This is a cross section of what it might look like. I hope you can read it, and hope this makes it a little easier to see what I'm describing.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts