DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am in the process of making a fg amp rack and am having concerns. This is right after stapling the fleece
Then I took it out and re-enforced the back with 2 layers of mat( 1 layer in pic)

The problem is that I didnt wrapped the fleece around the bottom like Bing did here

So now I dont know where to go from here as far as if the bottom will be ok like that or if I should some how wrap fleece on the bottom or what. Another issue is with trimming. My plan was to cut out the fleece is the middle so i could just paint the mdf wrap it with something and have less bondo sanding, but I dont know if that possible and i should just coat it with resin sand and filler it?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
dont know why my pics are so small and the others are so big
edit: fixed pics

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Nothing wrong with the way you did it. Everyone has their own style and what works for one may not be the best for someone else. I wouldn't worry about cutting the fleece out of the bottom. It doesn't look that deep, so you should be able to cover it in one piece no problem.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean by cover it? Should I resin the bottom piece, I only put resin on the side walls. I actually just started to sand the inside walls with 60 grit and I noticed that they were far from straight with couple big abnormalities.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
This is just for amps right? If so you don't have to build it like a tank. Just strong enough that it doesn't flex when you push on it. The 2-3 layers of mat are plenty.

By covering, I meant finishing it with vinyl,carpet/suede or whatever you had in mind. If you are going to carpet it, stop sanding now and cover it. Unless you have a mountain of a bump the carpet will hide anything else.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not sure what I want to cover it with I definitely dont want to do carpet. Im not sure what would look good considering my interior is tan. I was thinking of covering the bottom with some sort of suede and painting the side walls. There is going to be a plexi window with edge lit lightin.I just dont really know what would look good. Any ideas? Colors? Materials etc My car is green if that matters

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
As long as the walls are strong just make sure that the visible sections are straight.

I would use some home made Kitty Hair to smooth it and fill in any large gaps or waves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts