DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering making a fiberglass box because the area it will be built has multiple angles.Question is,when you build up the resin/mat how thick do you want to go? I have always built boxes with 3/4 MDF,so I would want a box that has the same or better density than that. Also since it will be in the trunk,would the fiberglass have the ability to take an impact if something was to shift in the trunk and hit it?

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Use polyester resin. uscomposites B440 is great, I won't use anything else after using that.

Integrating MDF in the large flat areas is a good idea. It will save you money on fiberglass materials, you could use 1/2" since you'll build it up a little with fiberglass anyway. It will also save you time because you won't have to do as many layers on those flat areas, and your layers will go quicker because you aren't covering as much area.

The fiberglass should be pretty stiff when you are done, it should be able to take an impact of anything you have rolling around in your trunk. What exactly do you have rolling around in your trunk that you'd be worried about?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Unless the enclosure is being directly coupled to a stiff and non-resonant part of the vehicle, then keep going until you cannot see light through the glass.

Lay as many layers at one time as you can, time/resources prohibited. This will allow the newer layers to soak up extra resin used on the lower layers, increasing stiffness.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Unless the enclosure is being directly coupled to a stiff and non-resonant part of the vehicle, then keep going until you cannot see light through the glass.

Lay as many layers at one time as you can, time/resources prohibited. This will allow the newer layers to soak up extra resin used on the lower layers, increasing stiffness.
be careful with that, it can get really hot if you lay it up too thick.. may even start a fire :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That last post really helped.I could not figure why I had so many air pockets when I did my first box several years ago.I ended up drilling out the air pockets and filling with resin. Thanks!

·
Registered
620 Posts
No problem.

Also remember, resin does not make a box strong - that's what the glass is for. Resin is only a means to keep the glass from moving. The better the meshing of glass fibers, the stronger the enclosure is. There is a reason why the biaxial weave knytex is the strongest stuff uscomposites has.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts