DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

im doing my audio install, and i want to get 2 custom boxes... i have never worked with fiberglas myself, so im scared to try and probably wont. all i want is the enclosures made and sanded (no paint or carpet), they can be all fiberglass, or with some mdf (the mold to the cars ofcourse is gonna be fibergalss), how much would shop charge me?

pics attached of the trunk... boxed would be in those corners.
the cars is mazdaspeed6

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yeah...$300 each sounds about right.

·
Human (not a robot)
2,408 Posts
I would encourage you to take a stab at doing this. You can do anything you put your mind to. There are people on here (not me :D ) that are experts at fiberglass and could help you through. If you try and fail you will have learned and then only be out about $100 in materials. Check out this guys write-up on doing a sub box in a Mazda6 Fiberglass subwoofer box - a tutorial
He's a member on here too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Like said above you could do it yourself for about $200 or get it done by someone else for $600.

Fiberglass resin from the marine shop $65 a gallon = $130
Fiberglass mat $30 - $50
MDF for the rings $20
Paint brushes, latex gloves, tape, foil..... $30

The only difference I have found is that a good shop can do this in a couple of days where as it would take me a couple of weeks. I work 14 hour days and also every other weekend...

·
Registered
707 Posts
Let me also add that before writing that tutorial, I had never worked with fiberglass before, either. I was always buying pre-fab boxes or having someone else make them for me. That whole fiberglassing project kind of opened some doors for me in terms of instilling some self-confidence in me for all things DIY. After doing that box, I remodeled my whole kitchen myself (only labor contracted out was granite countertops) and my master bath.

Sorry to go off on a tangent.. at one point in my life, I didn't know the difference between a Phillips-head and a flat-head. I just want to illustrate that everyone has to start somewhere, and the DIY way is so much more rewarding in terms of saving money, boosting confidence, and pride in your own work.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Totally agree. Mazda 6 unite lol.

I've been working with robbyho from art of noise in getting some 6 boxes molded up. at one point we were talking about a group buy which would probably bring them in at a pretty reasonable price.

Another option is the wicked CAS boxes on ebay. But they're not cheap.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
We all started somewhere. D I Y. You might fail your first time and it's ok. I'd suggest you practice on something small first. Get the feel for what's right and what is not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts