DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a couple of saddlebag lids to attempt to make my own saddlebag speaker lids. For someone that has never messed with fiberglass what are some good things to read/buy to start my project?

Here is a picture of what I'm trying to accomplish

I would think the actually laying the fiberglass part wouldn't be that bad (could be totally wrong on that) but what do you do to get that shape? I'm looking forward to this learning experience and will give me something to do at night when I get home from work.

Thanks guys

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
You are just going to modify the original lids right? If so then just cut out the place for the speaker, add a speaker ring, scuff up the surface of the paint, lay some layers of fiberglass, take some sand paper to knock down the sharp peaks/fibers, apply bondo to get the shape you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can you post some pics of the actual lids you have? It would be helpful to see the starting point that you have.
- Jeff

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you post some pics of the actual lids you have? It would be helpful to see the starting point that you have.
- Jeff

Not mine but that is what the factory lid is like. These are plastic if that makes any difference.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
fiberglassforums.com is a good resource.

If you want them to look perfect then I would look into building a form then covering that form with fiberglass. That way you do one at a time and they are identical.

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
I wouldnt even glass em.

I would just cut holes, mount some speaker rings to the surface, then apply some body filler around the mounting ring, and sand it smooth.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
Agreed. I already mentioned that so I figured he was wanting to know another way or an easier way to get them perfect.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Problem with just cutting a hole and dropping them in is they won't be directed towards the front of the bike. Also see in that first picture how it raises up slopes back down, that's what I'm looking for. I have photos from different angles if that would help

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fiberglassforums.com is a good resource.

If you want them to look perfect then I would look into building a form then covering that form with fiberglass. That way you do one at a time and they are identical.
Thanks for link, I'm sure there is some good info there

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
Problem with just cutting a hole and dropping them in is they won't be directed towards the front of the bike. Also see in that first picture how it raises up slopes back down, that's what I'm looking for. I have photos from different angles if that would help
Put spacers under the back so they tilt forward a bit.
Besides, do you think you won't hear them if they are off axis a bit? It's not like your gonna build a decent sound stage on a bike.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Put spacers under the back so they tilt forward a bit.
Besides, do you think you won't hear them if they are off axis a bit? It's not like your gonna build a decent sound stage on a bike.
Its a pure cosmetic thing for me. I don't have delusions of them rocking my head off at 80mph

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Here is a better view from the front.

I understand making a mounting ring, but what would you use to tilt forward?

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
All you do is clue and glue spacers of varying lengths where the speaker will be, creating a platform for the ring, then glue the ring to the dowels. That will be your angle.

I almost think you can do this without cutting the lid at all. So the speaker enclosure would be between the lid and the form you make.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All you do is clue and glue spacers of varying lengths where the speaker will be, creating a platform for the ring, then glue the ring to the dowels. That will be your angle.

I almost think you can do this without cutting the lid at all. So the speaker enclosure would be between the lid and the form you make.
I think for it to be as streamline as I'm looking for I'll have to cut the lid due to speaker mounting depth.

I could attempt to make a whole lid I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts