DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I just finished a project of making some taillights for my PT cruiser and although they came out well, i had some major problems with the fabric sagging after I applied the resin to it. I applied a light layer as well in order to hopefully keep sagging to a minimum. Since i couldn't staple the fabric tight I used hot glue, what do YOU use? I used t-shirt material pulled very tight but it still sagged dramatically. What fabrics are best for this? I've read fleece and others, but from my experience a fabric the will soak lots of resin up will sag that much more. Any tips on how you stretch it tight and get it to hold? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Not a lot can be done besides making a foam "plug" you can glass over that you can hog out later... besides lots of fill work...

Those look pretty sweet to BTW, I had a friend with a PT that he replaced the tupperware front and rear bumpers on, the rear was a full roll pan and smooth smooth smooth.. the front had a HUGE mouth like opening and fogs were behind some grill material... Always liked the PT..

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If the part can be removed from the car, invert it. Hang it so the resined side is facing the ground and let gravity do the rest. You will be surprised how much less noticable sagging into a convex shape is in contrast to concave shape.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I had no issues when I used fleece. I used spray glue to hold it in place, and I didn't resin the part that was spray glued on until the rest of the resin cured.

Maybe the t-shirt material you used is more apt to stretch. Maybe you used too much resin, maybe you didn't mix it hot enough so the cure time was too long.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, i want to make a rear roll pan for my car. They cost around 500 and up which is way too much IMO. The protruding part of the bumper is a separate piece than the part surrounding it, so i'm pretty sure I can just remove them both, take the protruding one out, and then wrap and glass the remaining section and have an instant roll pan. That's why im asking these questions to start with :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I asked the same question of Steve Brown after they dubuted the BMW 6-series they did. The fenders were stretched out and they did it by stretching fabric but it was totally straight with no sagging. I asked him how he did that and he said they just pulled the heck out of the fabric until it was completely taut and straight. I still don't know how that can be accomplished but perhaps they used a fabric that could do that. I mean, if you REALLY pull on it, isn't it going to rip eventually? And you would have to pull on it so hard and then keep that tension on it while you, or someobody, attaches it in place.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
You need to use a fabric thast has a good 3 way stretch minimum.

After that it's just a matter of being able to pull out the wrinkles and securing it so they stay out.

From what I've found....the fuzzier the fleece the more stretch it has.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
MOds....move this to FABRICATION Forum.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Not a lot can be done besides making a foam "plug" you can glass over that you can hog out later... besides lots of fill work...

Those look pretty sweet to BTW, I had a friend with a PT that he replaced the tupperware front and rear bumpers on, the rear was a full roll pan and smooth smooth smooth.. the front had a HUGE mouth like opening and fogs were behind some grill material... Always liked the PT..

Good call.

My next suggestion if you're getting alot of sag while the resin is still wet.

Didn't the question thoroughly enough.

Sometimes the fleece method isn't the best technique....and really it IS an Amateurish technique.

Molds are always the best way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts