DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building my first custom fg sub box tomorrow. Anyone used resin jelly instead of the typical resin? Seems like it would make it waaay easier, which is a huge plus because i'm such a beginner. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Avoid the Jelly. To get the strength you need, you will have to saturate the cloth. You can't do that with Jelly. Jelly is used for bonding stuff together.

Order from US composites. They have some of the best resin in the business. Make sure to build the glass/resin to at least 1/4 inch thick for strength.

Have fun.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
^^^What he said! Resin Jelly is like bondo body filler with some resin in it. It is for finishing if anything. Not used as a substitution for resin and will not work!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
glass strength comes from the fibers not the resin.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Resin jelly does a great job smoothing out your glasswork, gives you the best possible bond to a resin covered/saturated surface, is rock hard after curing and also takes more work to cut down than rage gold or other fillers. All that said I actually prefer using it over "lighter weight" fillers on sub enclosures because of its more "dense/inert characteristics". That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Like everyone else said. Resin is just to soak the mat.
Jelly is more cosmetic.
Good luck. Make sure u wear proper protection. I remeber my friends first Fiberglass experience, he didn't wear gloves and spread it with his hands! It was a freaking disaster

·
Registered
56 Posts
Like everyone else said. Resin is just to soak the mat.
Jelly is more cosmetic.
Good luck. Make sure u wear proper protection. I remeber my friends first Fiberglass experience, he didn't wear gloves and spread it with his hands! It was a freaking disaster
:eek::eek: That poor man! Holy cow. How long did it take for him not to have sticky mitts for hands?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts