DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
you need to secure one side first

using either

1) staples
2) crazy glue (with a speed inhibitor so it dries immediately--I figured this out after the fact lol)
3) hot glue gun

all these works

just do it slow and secure the one side, and then pull REAL hard as you move slowly around the mold

fleece is better since it holds more resin, but I found that a tshirt-or sweater (non cotton) can work better since its a little easier to pull tight and cheaper :)

if you do this you may have to use tow layers of mat vs maybe only oen is you use fleece

also as quick tidbit use a colored fleece or tshirt its easier to see where you missed the resin

and if it does wrinkle not a big problem, you can always

1) just dremel it out and cover the hole with mat and resin (three or more layers sicne its a hole)

2) or just use filler, since its easier to sand than fiberglass anyway

less sanding the better though I still have blisters :)

and use proper tools

a dremel and a die grinder or small circular power sander ( Ididnt have one--and it sucked)

it will make your life soo much easier

AND MAKE SURE you have aimed your ribbons porpely using a laser pointer it really makes a WORLD of difference how they are aimed, I had to aim mine twice

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
please slow down and aim them properly

I made that msitake and it cost me another day or rebuilding and sanding

take your time

(even though I know it sucks to have nice stuff in the garage :) )

every car is different though

I had the drivers side poiting as close the center of the headrest and the same as the passenger I had the lcy's which are larger I think--so my drivers side was down about 10-15 degrees in the vertical from optimum)

due to the way my apillars mount no way around it

it can be a little hard because of the ribbons shape, and depth to get it straight on the drivers side , so you may want to cross them at the center of the two head rests

you will be out of direct line of the ribbons so youll lose some output, but it all depends on how good your build skill are and the room you have

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
told ya it helps :)

I made that mistake (bad aiming)my first go round and I was like man theeese thing suck lol

then I took the time to aim them with the laser pointer and they are EXTREMELY nice tweeters if you like it smooth baby!!!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
nice idea but I was thinking something a littel less obtuse

that looks like more of subwoofer grille, not somthing Id want upfront

amd man you never covered those or the fibergalss? did they last long ?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
do let me get this straight

1) buy the grill strength/size etc you want
2) take a baffle ring ( i assume the cutout peice right)
3)bend the grille around the circle

so how do you attach the metal to the speaker baffle, or will it stay already on the baffle?

im a little confused lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.