DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I wanted to do some sound deadening to my front doors to get a bit more kick from my stock mids, but after pulling the door panels off I found the exact opposite of friendly flat surfaces to use wood or metal or plexi. I just saw in another thread someone mentioned fibreglass. That makes a ton of sense! Is it an ideal way to seal up doors with a ton of high and low points? or are there issues.

I can work with fibreglass and it's cost friendly for how much I'd need to do, just wondering if there are any better options

(If I did it, i'd tape the holes, glass over, then drill holes and screw the 'panels' in place with ccf for ease of removal later)

any suggestions?

also on a sort of related topic, It's a 2011 cruze, stock speakers, PPI 5440 powering the fronts and Polk SR10, with the sub off or low, I don't have a single rattle in the car, even at high listening volume, Even with the SR10 cranked I don't have any rattles up front, does that mean I can get away with less deadening?

Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^
Amazing build, thanks for the link! I think my doors have more mountains, but I can do 2-3 individual pieces I think. Of course everything sounds easier from inside the house away from the car, but I'm gonna go for it.

newb Q here, Is GM known for dynamat type material in the doors? I've owned over ten nissans and a 2010 hyundai and had almost every door panel off, and never seen what I saw in the Cruze door, It had aluminum backed sticky vinyl sparringly around the outter door skin, looked like dynamat, probably 40% coverage or less, but more than anything else I've owned from japan.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Check out post #135 and on in my thread and see if that helps ya.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Worked very well for me, I used hot glue to seal the fiberglass to the door skin, excellent adhesion without drilling into the metal, I did use some small SoundDeadnerShowdown to assist with dampening on the fiberglass as well.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Worked very well for me, I used hot glue to seal the fiberglass to the door skin, excellent adhesion without drilling into the metal, I did use some small SoundDeadnerShowdown to assist with dampening on the fiberglass as well.
Looks good.

How hard will it be to remove them should you need to with the hot glue?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You're not worried about the hot glue melting on its own during the summer heat?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'll look into the specialty glues, thank you for letting me know, definitely dont want to steer people in the wrong direction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts