DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
some of you may read this log and swear you have seen it before...and that isnt necessarily false :) we did indeed do a system for a 2015 fiesta ST not too long ago that featured virtually the same arrangement. there are some subtle differences though so here is the log for this one. :)

goals:

1. achieve a nice level of sound quality while maintaining a low key appearance on the interior

2. take up zero usable cargo space in the trunk

3. retain spare tire and still allow easy access to it with the system components.

first up a coupla pics of the car :)

the signal source on this one is slightly different than the previous fiesta build. while the stock signal source is indeed retained, but instead of an amas2, we added a digital output box for his iphone as his second, more pure, source. due to that, we had to also integrate a mosconi dsp controller to act as master volume control when he is using his phone as his primary signal source. so jesse fabricated a similar controller mount as i did in the other fiesta. it takes up the little pocket direct behind the shifter and is finished in factory matching vinyl. here is the finished product, within convinient reach from the front seats:

a few quick pics of what the controller mount looks like. it is a combination of MDF and acrylic that secures the controller to the mount, and then the mount press fits into the space:

moving onto the front stage. the customer provided me with a set of Stereo Integrity TM65 dual voice coil midbasses. these were installed in the factor lower door location.

first, a matter of taking care of the wiring. since the fiesta has no empty slots in the door molex, we soldered onto the factory speaker wires right before and right after the door, keeping the factory run as short as possible:

nex, the outer door skins were sound proofed with blackhole tiles, while the inner door received some focal BAM composite damper.

then i fabricated a set of speaker adapter plates for the SI midbasses, and coated them with several layers of truck bedliner to protect them against the elements:

this adapter was then bolted to the door using oem hardware:

and these cool DVC midbasses were wired up and installed, the gaps around the mounting baffle sealed with butyl

the outer door card also got some CLD damper to help with resonance and vibrations:

the same procedure was then repeated on the passenger side:

for the tweeter the customer supplied me with a set of the new KAXBLTWT tweeters. these are relatively large tweeters and after some playing around, we came up with a mounting pod that takes place of the tiny pillar windows. the pods were finished in matching vinyl:

lets go to some build pictures by Jesse. This may look simple but actually involved a bit of work. because of the shape and angles in the A pillar, we couldnt actually just bold a singular pod...as if it was attached to the pillar, there is no way the pillar can flex and fit back into the car, like wise, there is no room for hte entire pod to slide into the window opening if the pillars were snaped on first. so what jesse came up with is a two piece design that allowed a smaller mounting pod to be mounted to the pillars after it has been snapped into the car.

first, these are the two pieces, a back plate with spacers and a front plate with its own inter spacer legs and the tweeter ring aimed and mounted:

the front tweeter pod then had mold cloth pulled, resin applied, and then reinforced from the inside via a duraglas/resin mixture:

then several repeat processes of filler and sanded, resulted in a smooth shape ready for upholstery:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the back plates were then covered in a black material we like to call "simpliciflock" :) and the front pods got wrapped in black vinyl:

so here are the finished products test fitted to the car. right now, the front pods are just press fit in the space to show what it will look like:

and here are these large tweeters with the long alphabet name :)

so basically, what happened next was that the pillars, with only the back plates attached, were reinstalled back into the car, then the front portion is pressed in, and two screws lock the two pairs of mounting legs together, locking the front pod in place. the tweeters were then wired up and installed:

so thats it for the front stage, moving onto the wiring pics. so this is the digital converter output box that is installed under the center arm rest area, the wire is routed upfront, to the center console and then back towards the passenger side:

this bundle, which includes the power and ground for the converter box and the toslink cable, joins the passenger side speaker wires and is ziptied to the factory bundle every few inches. anywhere there is a stock conduit, it was opened, the new bundle laid down, and then closed back down over it:

the driver side received the same speaker wires and the main 4 gauge power cable:

the driver side bundle crosses over under the back seat and they all go to the hatch area via the passenger side. with the power and signal wires separated:

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so thats it for wiring, lets take a look at the hatch, and here, its going to be virtually identical to the other fiesta as it utlizes the same gear.

so normally, with the stock floor in place, it is 100 percent oem:

but lift up the floor and you see a single sealed enclosure of about .5 cubic foot housing a stereo integrity BM MkIV 12" sub, along side in the empty place, is an arc audio xdiv2 1100.5 powering hte front stage with 4x150 watts rms, while sending 500 watts to the BM, and a mosconi 4to6SPDIF that provides signal processing and received the signal both from the stock HU, and the digital converter box. everything is finished in an industrial manner using spray on bedliner:

now, if you want to remove the spare, you simply have to undo these four bolts:

and you can then lift up the enclosure via the two handles on either side, and slide it out of the way:

a final shot of the hatch:

onto the build pics of the back:

one of the key difference between this car and the other fiesta is that this one had the space saver spare in it. as a result, i was able to dip down into the space a bit more and build a slightly shallower enclosure: so here is the bottom half of the enclosure:

and then the top mated to it, along with the handles on either side for easy removal:

it was then coated with truck bedliner, and the SI subwoofer wired up and installed. while the bottom of the enclosure received foam treatment during contact spots to reduce any kind of buzzing:

and here is the amp/dsp board before and after truck bedliner and foam treatment:

and then i prewired the amp and dsp on the board:

a total of six rivet nuts were installed onto the floor to provide firm anchor points for the bolts:

and tahts it, things were bolted in place and wired up...and you end up with what you see above. :)

simple, stealthy and functional. :)

so how does it sound.

from most aspects, it sounds similar to the other fiesta.

the imaging and staging is very good, with good height, width and depth. the TM65s provides a ton of impact and is very very linear even at high volumes. i was quite impressed with these guys. the KAXBLTWTs also did decently well, though there were some irregularities in the response, some spikes and brightness that i wasnt able to dial down completely. it had very good detail but just slightly on the hot side for me (but i have a very laid back listening taste) at certain frequencies. i am not going to pass any judgement on them as i am honestly not that great of a tuner, and the customer is going to sit down with our own lycancatt, who is a master tuner, to see if they can smooth it out a bit more. the ability of these tweeters to go low though, had a decent effect on the staging and imaging compared to the other fiesta using focal flax.

the SI BM provided great output and extension at all volumes, and is such a great fit for this car given its limited space.

really enjoy working on these cars and with this type of build, the owner gives us very very little daily usability and appearance while able to enjoy a level of sound much higher than stock. win win! :)

until next time,

Bing

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Great job - as always. Simple, clean and effective.

How do you like those woofers for a 2 way, do they play decently up high and how how can they go?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
haha you posted this build log literally while I was tuning the car..

the car overall is quite fun, lively midbass, desent sub (a single 12 is never enough for me) and these..tweeters..

has anyone done independent fr graphs on these? they are beautifully made, go low as advertised, but I had to do some serious eq work and feel I will soon be doing more as we ran out of time. I don't feel that I should have to do this much eq work to any speaker, although I know no speaker sounds great right out of the packaging when installed in the car environment.

the tm65s did exactly what I wanted them to do, I ended up lowpassing them at 1500 hz because any higher and I had some serious peaks in response, and that's the area where the human ear starts to get sensitive to harshness. if I could, I'd rather have them crossing in at 1.2 k..but that left a pretty narly hole in response.

I love working on bings installs, they just..work..i don't have to take them apart, set gains, correct phasing issues, its a pleasure to get in and just tune without troubleshooting.

I've suggested the customer look into the aura whispers as they are very close in size to these tweeters, and for the cost of entry, would be a worthwhile experiment and an easy drop in.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i swear i didnt coordinate with the customer to post the build log while you were tuning hahah i thought you guys had been done with for a while.

it humbles me to see that a true master like you hears some of the same thing i heard while using my own very limited tuning skill set. :)

b

·
Registered
887 Posts
Very clean.
I keep hoping you get your hands on one of the 'upgraded' sound systems to see how you deal with the stock MFT+Sony amps.

·
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very clean.
I keep hoping you get your hands on one of the 'upgraded' sound systems to see how you deal with the stock MFT+Sony amps.
hey maybe you would know this...but does the fiesta actually come with a system that has a separate amp like the focus does? both times i think i was told these were the upgrade systems and both times it only out of HU. my database also does not list a amplifier option for any version of this car.

but if its the sony systems like on other fords, its not unlike many that we have dealt with in the past, requires a lot of summing, input eqing and other related work. and wed likely recommend a secondary signal source like this car as well :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Maybe if it comes with the hd Sony plus nav. That adds an 8 speaker system. But have no idea, I have the focus st3. I had to have damn heated seats.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
yeah if its anything like the ford edge premium system, summing is a nightmare because some channels can be summed without issue and some cant..and sadly I forget which now. but basicly summing creates weird loads on the factory amp which on certain channels causes problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is actually my car, and it has been a pleasure having Bing do the install, and Lycancatt work with me on the tuning. I'm amazed at the skill of both, and feel fortunate to live in the area.

I'm on the fence about the KAXBLTWT, to be honest. They look amazing, and I was hoping for them to sound amazing, but in this application, with this car, they are not behaving like I want them to. I'm going to listen to them more (after our tuning session), and decide the next step.

I'm expect I'll end up trying other tweeters (that will fit my current enclosure), and see if I can find a better match for my TM65's.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
keep in mind I'm quite happy to go extreme on the eq if need be, I like to keep all cuts less than 6 db and all boosts less than 3 but lets be honest..that doesn't always work. so, listen for a few days, then call me.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Nice smooth work and finish as usual!

Mmm, maybe in a few hours of play time those tweeters will sound better.

Where were they crossed at?

Wouldn't the NVX XSPTW, fill the gap also? just a bit bigger than KAxbl

·
Registered
18,825 Posts
considering the car and install location of the tweeter, i can see why (at least on the drivers side) why the response seems messed up. tons of places for reflections in such a tight area

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
yeah that gauge cluster is doing us no favors, I was hesitant to go crazy with eq, trying to minimize all the fun problems that causes.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
If it doesn't sound right, if it sounds harsh, it's a tuning issue way before its a driver issue. 1.6 khz is way too low a xover for that tweeter, heck even my Scan tend to get a touch harsh down at 1.6. Reflections off instrument clusters don't make the sound harsh :).

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Fantastic work once again by Bing and the dream team. :)

I recently completed an install with my buddy in his '14 Fiesta ST and we used the NVX XSP6ACT comp set which includes the XSPTW (SB29) tweeters. These tweeters are a fantastic value at $120 for the pair if purchased separately. And this midbass/tweeter combination gave us excellent imaging, staging, depth, and tonality right out of the box with plenty of midbass as well. Most of the work with tuning this particular system revolved around integrating the midbass to subwoofer transition.

I will reiterate that the OEM Ford SYNC My Touch/Sony system (there's no OEM amp) is a complete PITA to integrate and it's nearly impossible derive a clean, problem-free source signal from this HU.

We also decided to future-proof by installing both a set of RCA interconnects and a Toslink cable which were run from the front dash/center console area to the RF 360.3 in the rear hatch. This allows the use of a Pure i20 with iPod Classic/iPod Touch, or the digital Toslink output from select Sony Discman portable CD players, or practically any other digital or analog source, including the Amazingly Clean Analog "audiophile quality" Headphone Output of the iPhone 6/6+ as a source (see link below!).

Apple iPhone 6 Plus Review

The NVX XSPTW tweeters are just $90 a pair and the complete NVX XSP6ACT Comp Set is just $234 right now at SonicElectronix with the promo code, "NVX25OFF".

And the NVX JAD900.5 amp is just $224 as well. This would provide you with a top notch system at an entry-level price that'd be similar to Being's install, minus a DSP.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68822_NVX-XSPTW.html

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very impressed with the tweeter pods. I have a 14 Focus hatch that I'll be taking up all the cargo area in but I've been thinking of different ideas for incorporating more than just what factory locations will allow. I'm even considering full door pods for more midbass and using the factory mid and tweeter locations in a 3 way setup with no or minimal rear fill. I dunno, still getting ideas but I like what I see here.

My factory locations are up there by the side view mirrors.

I could use them and do a second set somewhere in the a pillar.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts