DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an incredible deal I couldn't pass up.

JL Audio 10W7 - $330.95
JL Audio HD 900/5 - $680.95

Both with 1 year warranty.

After I bought those I went to my local installer. Decided on a set of Hertz HSK165 for the front. No rear fill.

After everything is all said and done I'll be spending $2169.04. I'm pretty stoked. They should be finished with my car tomorrow afternoon. I can't wait to hear it!

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I get the car back I will let you guys know how it sounds and eventually post pics. I'm going to ask the installer to take pics as they go too.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
That is an excellent price on the HD900/5.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. I have the warranty on those as well. I'm military and got those from a place on post. I also saved money on tax!:)

So the install is complete. It sounds better than stock but I have a couple issues that don't make me completely satisfied.

Subwoofer - it definitely cranks. I definitely goes low. However, I listen to mainly rock and want to feel the kick drum in my ribcage. I want to feel the punch. It's not there like I thought it would be. The 900/5 is plenty to run that sub, right? The enclosure is sealed with the sub facing the back of the trunk, away from the cab. It is built to spec. Everything I have read said the 10W7 is all SQ - this seems to be more SPL. Am I confused?

HSK-165 - they sound great for some songs, but not for all. I have also noticed that the more I turn it up they start distorting. These are $500 speakers, ran by a top of the line amp! WTF! What is going on here? How can I fix it?

The installer told me when they installed they had a ***** of a time with the tune because of the OEM head unit. I kind of figured that would happen, but not this bad. The curve dips way down on the mids and comes up really high at the high end of the spectrum.

Will a processor fix these issues? How about rear speakers to pick up the slack when I turn the volume up? The store isn't a rockford dealer but he highly suggested I pick up a 3sixty.2.

Like I said it's better than stock, but for over $2K, I expected to be completely satisfied.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes. I have the warranty on those as well. I'm military and got those from a place on post. I also saved money on tax!:)

So the install is complete. It sounds better than stock but I have a couple issues that don't make me completely satisfied.

Subwoofer - it definitely cranks. I definitely goes low. However, I listen to mainly rock and want to feel the kick drum in my ribcage. I want to feel the punch. It's not there like I thought it would be. The 900/5 is plenty to run that sub, right? The enclosure is sealed with the sub facing the back of the trunk, away from the cab. It is built to spec. Everything I have read said the 10W7 is all SQ - this seems to be more SPL. Am I confused?

HSK-165 - they sound great for some songs, but not for all. I have also noticed that the more I turn it up they start distorting. These are $500 speakers, ran by a top of the line amp! WTF! What is going on here? How can I fix it?

The installer told me when they installed they had a ***** of a time with the tune because of the OEM head unit. I kind of figured that would happen, but not this bad. The curve dips way down on the mids and comes up really high at the high end of the spectrum.

Will a processor fix these issues? How about rear speakers to pick up the slack when I turn the volume up? The store isn't a rockford dealer but he highly suggested I pick up a 3sixty.2.

Like I said it's better than stock, but for over $2K, I expected to be completely satisfied.
You mentioned earlier having your installer take pics. How were your speakers mounted, doors deadened, etc? That has alot to do with both the SQ of your fronts and the perception of the sub impact. Also, what kind of car/head unit?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The install was good. They showed me pics. It's very clean and there is sound deadener in the doors. No issues there.

Getting rid of the stock head unit is not going to happen. It's the head unit with Nav, bluetooth, Sirius, hard drive, dvd player...etc.

Will a processor really help? Where can I find a 3sixty.2, besides ebay or classifieds? They're discontinued, but I would figure there should be some leftover somewhere?

I'm thinking a processor and a couple of 6.5" components in the rear to bring the midrange out more - and that should also bring out more volume as well. I'm learning about all this stuff and still in way over my head, but am I correct?

What would happen if I get a processor, run the front speakers active using the 4 channels from the HD 900/5, get a set of 6.5" comps for the rear that will emphasize low to mid and run those off the 5th channel, and get another amp for the 10W7?

·
Registered
97 Posts
The install was good. They showed me pics. It's very clean and there is sound deadener in the doors. No issues there.

Getting rid of the stock head unit is not going to happen. It's the head unit with Nav, bluetooth, Sirius, hard drive, dvd player...etc.

Will a processor really help? Where can I find a 3sixty.2, besides ebay or classifieds? They're discontinued, but I would figure there should be some leftover somewhere?

Are thre low level outputs on your factory deck? If there was a factory amp I would think that it has low level outs on the radio, but if not are they using the high level outs form the radio? That might not be the best for sound quality... Either way with the factory radio a proccesor of some kind would help. A MS-8 or just look at something from Audiocontrol

I'm thinking a processor and a couple of 6.5" components in the rear to bring the midrange out more - and that should also bring out more volume as well. I'm learning about all this stuff and still in way over my head, but am I correct?
Yes you will gain volume by using som 6.5s in the rear but you would loose any staging you might have.

What would happen if I get a processor, run the front speakers active using the 4 channels from the HD 900/5, get a set of 6.5" comps for the rear that will emphasize low to mid and run those off the 5th channel, and get another amp for the 10W7?
The 5th channel would be mono to both 6.5s, loosing all sterio in the rear, not the s=best senario either.

My opinion, get some kind of signal processing to clean up whatever signal you are sending to the amp, and then dump the W7 for a W6, personally I dont theik that 500 wats is enough for the W7, and I think the W6V2 would perform much better with the amp you have. (Even a W3 would sound good)

LionelC

·
Registered
102 Posts
The 5th channel would be mono to both 6.5s, loosing all sterio in the rear, not the s=best senario either.

My opinion, get some kind of signal processing to clean up whatever signal you are sending to the amp, and then dump the W7 for a W6, personally I dont theik that 500 wats is enough for the W7, and I think the W6V2 would perform much better with the amp you have. (Even a W3 would sound good)

LionelC
I agree here as well. Maybe the 12w6v2 would be a better fit for you. I personally use an MS-8 since I did not want to install an aftermarket source unit. Depending on your budget, that may be a nice addition. Run the front components active at 100x4, 500 watts to the 12w6v2 would be plenty for Rock. I have the HD900/5 as well, I run the HAT Clarus active and have an FiQ12 for sub duty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK. So the car is back at the installer. I found a 3sixty.2 for $250. I'm having them install it. While it's there I said screw and picked up a set of Hertz HCX 165 for the rear. They will hook those up to the other two channels of the 900/5 and tune everything.

It was good before, now it should be perfect...at least I hope. I'm not getting cheap equipment, so hopefully the 3sixty.2 is as good as everybody says it is. It will be ready to be picked up tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
238 Posts
it better be good! especially for that kind of money! I get uptight about spending $100 bucks... haha. Hope it goes well anyway, and good luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's done. It's tuned. It's completely badass.

However, I now have the bug. I have seen what these guys can do. There will be more mods done to the audio part of this car, specifically the sub enclosure. For now it'll work, but I think I may go to a ported box and make a nice clean custom look while still keeping access to the spare and battery.

The sound is incredible. It sounds so good. My only desire is more volume. It's plenty loud don't get me wrong. WAY louder than stock, but I want more. It's a disease. A sickness I tell you!

·
Registered
460 Posts
more volume while driving or sitting in the car? the 900/5 is more than capable of making enough power to make your ears ring, if it's more volume while driving, maybe some MLV to quiet your road/wind noise would be a better idea? will give perceived higher volume and protect your hearing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts