DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im finally starting my install (all the gear from my old car, plus a new HU).

I am building fiberglass door pods for my 98 firebird. Ill attach a few pics so you can see what I am doing.

I will have the pod sealed for the SDx7 7" woofer, with its chamber coming in at .25 cu/ft. I planned on having the chamber for my mid (FR125S 4.5") seperated from the woofer internally, but opened into the door for a IB install on the mid.

My question:
Is there any reason that I couldnt leave the 4.5" mid chamber open to the woofer chamber and just leave the whole pod sealed? Would the woofer cause a problem to the mid if they share the same airspace?

Thanks for the help,
J

Attachments

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
First question:

How much space do the woofer/mid combo need to operate properly?

My main concern:The midbass pressure will likely interfere with the mid.

Second question: Why not build kicks for the mids?

It's a much better place for them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, first the woofer needs .25 cu/ft for the proper alignment. (I could go bigger by building into the door cavity, tons of room in there, but when I tested .25 prior, I really liked it).

The mid is really meant for a full range IB or ported type application. This is why my initial decision was to do it IB into the door and seperate from the woofer. Ive never built speakers that share an airspace, so I was curious as to why that wouldnt work. I see what you mean, if they both require a certain airspace, they will still need that total amount if together. Ill be safe and keep them seperate.

When test fitting the speakers, I tried many spots. The place the mid is set at now is where it would be if I had built it into the kick. Its the ONLY space a speaker can fit down there between the kick and my leg/foot. I have a 6speed, so the space is at a premium with the clutch and dead pedal. (I have seen someone imbed a midbass flush into the kick panel completely with a sealed chamber in the fender in a 4th gen, but these mids would not perform well into my ankle imo).
If you have any other suggestions, or see something I dont, please let me know!

Thanks,
J

1 - 3 of 3 Posts