DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have been lurking the site for some time now. I have had about 5 different car audio setups now. This will be my first attempt at an active setup.

Please help :) I have been searching and searching.

I want to go 4-way active. I would like to do a w205/h701 setup but I don't really have the money right now. I was wondering if anyone could suggest an external processor that could handle what I am trying to do. I will spend up to $400. The cheaper the better :laugh: If I should just buy another HU that would be fine too. Just let me know what you think the best option would be.

HU: CDA9857 :(

Front Stage
Tweet:Will be testing Dayton RS28, ND28, ND20, and ND16
Mid: Dayton RS100 4"
Bass: Dayton RS225 8"
Sub: Alpine R 10"

AMPS:
JL 300/4 (Tweet&Mid)
JL 300/2 (Bass)
JL 500/1 (Sub)

The vehicle is Dodge ram 2500. It has been deadened.

I appreciate the help... Sorry for being such a newb. :mean:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
For inexpensive 4-way crossover options you can use an Audiocontrol 4XS, a PPI FRX-456, or probably some others. The 4XS is a little tricky to do 4-way with, but it'll do it well once it's set up right. The FRX-456 will do 3-way front, 2-way rear, plus sub.

A Clarion DRZ-9255 head unit will give you 4-way capability straight from the head unit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I did a 4 way active with the 4xs and it was very tricky but the 6xs makes it alot easier. I have both if your interested.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Why would you start with a four way active system, they're a ***** to tune especially if you haven't done a three way first. :confused:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Behringer DCX2496 with a power supply mod

I'm running my 3 way with it now and it is very powerful, versatile, and intuitive.

More important than what you use is how you use it. Get familiar with some measurement software. Room EQ wizard is very simple and straightforward, also free.

Robby

·
Registered
555 Posts
Behringer DCX2496 with a power supply mod

I'm running my 3 way with it now and it is very powerful, versatile, and intuitive.

More important than what you use is how you use it. Get familiar with some measurement software. Room EQ wizard is very simple and straightforward, also free.

Robby
Where did you get your power supply mod from? The guy on this site who makes them has been out of production for quite a long time. And by 3-way do you mean 3-way front stage + sub or 3-way total? Is it 4-way capable?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Why would you start with a four way active system, they're a ***** to tune especially if you haven't done a three way first. :confused:
Exactly. ***** is an understatement. Practice juggling 3 balls and master that before you throw that fourth one in. You still can buy the extra processing now and up grade later...or just use what your HU gives you for now (if it does 3-way).

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Exactly. ***** is an understatement. Practice juggling 3 balls and master that before you throw that fourth one in. You still can buy the extra processing now and up grade later...or just use what your HU gives you for now (if it does 3-way).
I'm with these guys! I would recommend that you start with a 3 way system and learn how to get it dialed in first. That will also make your equipment choices easier and cheaper. There are several nice hu's on the market that have enough internal processing to run a 3 way system for under the $400 mark. Just my .02 on the subject.

Zach

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey thanks for all the info guys.

The reason I want to run a 4 way is because I want to run my speakers in the stock locations for now. My Doors will hold the 8", 4" in the dash, and tweets in the a pillar.

I will use your suggestion though. Just tune it in for 3way and then add the midbass.

I think I am going with the ppi unit.

Thanks guys
Ryan

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Hello. I have been lurking the site for some time now. I have had about 5 different car audio setups now. This will be my first attempt at an active setup.

Please help :) I have been searching and searching.

I want to go 4-way active. I would like to do a w205/h701 setup but I don't really have the money right now. I was wondering if anyone could suggest an external processor that could handle what I am trying to do. I will spend up to $400. The cheaper the better :laugh: If I should just buy another HU that would be fine too. Just let me know what you think the best option would be.

HU: CDA9857 :(

Front Stage
Tweet:Will be testing Dayton RS28, ND28, ND20, and ND16
Mid: Dayton RS100 4"
Bass: Dayton RS225 8"
Sub: Alpine R 10"

AMPS:
JL 300/4 (Tweet&Mid)
JL 300/2 (Bass)
JL 500/1 (Sub)

The vehicle is Dodge ram 2500. It has been deadened.

I appreciate the help... Sorry for being such a newb. :mean:
Don't listen to these worry warts! It looks like you have your drivers picked out. Dive into the project and take your lumps like a man. That's what I do. :D

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
As much as I hate to agree with Tspence, I sort of do here. I mean if you are set on using those drivers, you pretty much need to use all of them. I would not bother installing them without the midbass.

If you only want to do a 3 way, then leave out the tweeters since the RS100 can play pretty high, but at that point, you may as well just install them too.:)

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
Hey thanks for all the info guys.

The reason I want to run a 4 way is because I want to run my speakers in the stock locations for now. My Doors will hold the 8", 4" in the dash, and tweets in the a pillar.

I will use your suggestion though. Just tune it in for 3way and then add the midbass.

I think I am going with the ppi unit.

Thanks guys
Ryan
Ryan,

The reason that several of us have advised you to go with a 3 way to start is because dialing in a 4 way can be very difficult. Especially with the driver locations that you are choosing. You would create a TON of issues with those locations that would require quite a bit of "know how" to tune. The issues would mainly be caused by a large distance in between drivers as well as the multiple different driver mounting angles. It wouldn't be that big of a deal if the drivers were going to be mounted close to each other or if the RS100 and tweeter would share a common baffle. But with doors, dash, and pillar locations you would be in for a lot of reflection, phase, and T/A issues to say the least. I'd hate for you to spend all that money, get it all installed, and then get discouraged because you can't dial it in to sound decent. You know what I mean? Once you spend the time with a 3 way and tune it in smooth, then step up and add the RS100's along with a stronger DSP unit. The setup will go much faster and you'll be proud of the progress that you've made due to the work/research that you've put in.

Since you want to run Dayton drivers (nice choice BTW) I would look at the 6" or 7" (RS150 or RS180) and match that up with the appropriate tweeter.

Zach

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
A Clarion DRZ-9255 head unit will give you 4-way capability straight from the head unit.

I will look into this puppy.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
I have mixed feelings on this one. Sure a 3 way is easier to tune, but none of us can predict whether you'll be able to tune a 4 or not. Most are just guessing that you can't. Maybe you can't even tune a 3 way, or maybe you can tune a 4 way, who knows?

One other thing, if you can fit 8's in the door, you should use 8's, but the Dayton RS225 will not match up well with most tweeters. So if you buy the 6 or 7" those will match up to the tweeters listed, but if you decided later that you want to go with a 4 way and want to use the 8's, you'll have no need for the 6 -7's that you already bought.

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest you try the 4 way, then IF you can't tune it or make it work, then dial it back down to a 3 way and just use the tweeter and the 6-7 midbass. If you can tune to your liking, you won't be wasting money on drivers, and time on the install.

If a 3 way is what you end up doing, I'd use the 8's and then use a full range in the dash instead of a conventional tweeter. That way you can do the 8's instead of using a smaller driver.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Ok, so you're doing a 3 way front stage with a sub...not rocket science. One consideration...why not go with a better "midbass driver" than the Dayton if your using a 4" mid? The Peerless SLS would probably be a better choice to give you some solid midbass with that setup.

EDIT: Oh and I would agree with the DRZ recommendation. Sell the other source unit pieces you have and pick that up. Amazing unit.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
A 3-way isn't necessarily easier to tune than a 4-way. In a lot of cases it can be harder. With a 4-way, you often can avoid the EQing stage of the tuning process. You also don't have to rely on a single midrange driver pointed at your ankles to cover the whole damned audible spectrum! Now that's a *****. Achieving phase coherence may be harder with the 4-way, but that's about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well the most important thing to me is to get everything installed so I can get a baseline. If later on I want to change my midbass or midrange or speakers thats fine. I really just want to have everything installed so I can play around with eq'ing the system and mess around with tweeter placement, ect. I want all of these tuning theorys you guys speak of to be audible!

I also thought about running my midrange and tweet in the kick panel but I don't think it will give me a high soundstage like I like.

The nicest system I have owned is in my 92 mercedes s class. It is a cda7998, JBL amps, JL XR635's and 2 12" IDMAXs. I love it. I played with the time alignment and eq a little bit and I am satisfied.

This is really just an experiment. I want to try an active setup, and teach myself about system dynamics. This site makes it a lot easier though....

thanks everyone

1 - 20 of 29 Posts