DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks! No, it's a SEAT, also a member of the VAG group but comes from Spain. :)

There will be more pics later tonight or during the weekend.
ah i get the 2 confused, plus ive had a few drinks and im half cut lol

this build has me quite interested! car looks sweet too!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, seeing as I've got absolutely no intention of doing any real work today, let's get on with the install presentation.

The first thing we did was strip the door for sound deadening. Here's the car's biggest drawback (not my pics):

There is no inner metal skin, and the window mechanism is attached to the plastic door card. Which means that the deadening procedure will be less than perfect. So, we did our best on the outer metal skin.

That's 3 to 4 layers of 2mm stuff. Later there will be a video showing the acoustic difference before and after. :D

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Then came the turn of the door card.

Here you can see that the new panel comes out a bit in relation to the door card, that was on purpose to give a bit more clearance for the midbass unit.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dont you get a lot of vibrations from the mid mounted to the door like that?
nice work though
Thanks. Hopefully not too much, although it is indeed my biggest concern over the whole install. Cutting metal (installing them in the kick panels for example) was out of the question (the car is leased lol), so if we're not satisfied with it as it is, other measures will have to be taken.

however you ll never have my mighty midbass!!
Eat my processor's dust (internal joke). :p

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very small photo update. I had taken pics of the cable braiding process but strangely they've vanished from my digicam.

Anyway, here's the passenger's door, half-deadened, waiting for another layer or 2.

Here's the midbass cable going to the door, covered with grey techflex as with all speaker cabling in the car.

Using the stock door connector to run the cable through would be difficult. Not impossible, but damn hard. It's a thick cable.

This has been used on the inner surface of the door card, wherever possible.

And here's a photo of the door panel with the grille on. The grille itself will be painted again and the badge will be replaced with a more... suitable one. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks. Hopefully not too much, although it is indeed my biggest concern over the whole install. Cutting metal (installing them in the kick panels for example) was out of the question (the car is leased lol), so if we're not satisfied with it as it is, other measures will have to be taken.

Eat my processor's dust (internal joke). :p
Hi Nick!

I'm glad to see that your installation finally began!
Also, i see that you have done your doors like i did! That's pretty good, looks awesome! But the problem is that you will get a lot of vibrations like that.
The problem is really the alternatives that you have with this specific doors, not a lot of them i'm afraid..

BTW: I've upgraded to 3 way! The midrange is exacly on the same spot that you are going to put yours! :D

Cheers mate

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi there Joao. See, I did start eventually! :)

Yeah, I know about the vibrations, if they become too much of a problem I'll have to find alternative ways of reinforcing the doors. You need to send me pictures of your own Leon, mate.

And your modding the door panels and sound deadening? Won't this affect trade in?:confused:
Well under normal circumstances it would, but I won't be trading her in, instead she'll stay with me (until I decide to sell her). :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi there Joao. See, I did start eventually! :)

Yeah, I know about the vibrations, if they become too much of a problem I'll have to find alternative ways of reinforcing the doors. You need to send me pictures of your own Leon, mate.

Well under normal circumstances it would, but I won't be trading her in, instead she'll stay with me (until I decide to sell her). :)
PM :cool:

1 - 20 of 191 Posts