DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

181 - 191 of 191 Posts

·
Director of Whatever
835 Posts
It's funny, I just finally took the time and looked thorugh your install log, and I noticed that we did quite a few things the same way. I too took apart the Audison Distro block. I hated the way it was laid out. I've also started work on some C pillars, but haven't finished yet.

As to the speaker rings, by "additive rapid prototyping" do you mean a 3D printer? These have caught on very fast over here. I remember reading about them before I got into car audio a couple years back. I recently saw something on TV about how Jay Leno had one and used it to make parts for cars he was restoring.

I was wanting to buy one to make speaker rings for some Audible Physics drivers and my midbass, but I wasn't sure if the resulting rings would be sturdy enough to justify not using MDF. If they do, then I guess the printer would pay for itself as I would sell some speaker rings on here :) Can you check out the RepRap and let me know if one of these printers would yield similar rings? Cause the RepRap can be had for like $1000

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Indeed, it's basically the same thing (the info is there if you follow the Wiki link in that post). However, like you I don't think it's better than mdf for midbass rings. We used it because we wanted to make rings for the grilles, not for speaker support, so needed something that is light and thin enough to replicate the tweeters' appearance but at the same time structurally potent to keep the grilles in place.

I'll look into RepRap and let you know. :)

Interestingly, my best friend pankrok (whose post is right above yours) is responsible for both the things you mention, the Audison fusebox disassembly and the grille rings. :D

·
Director of Whatever
835 Posts
and you wear a suit while you work on your car. I do that as well sometimes.

Oh, and Flyonwall, I've seen many places online where you can order parts. There are many people with 3D printers, even in Ala-freaking-bama :) who have probably run out of stuff to print and will be happy to print something for cost of materials + shipping because they need to justify having the damn thing :)

·
Director of Whatever
835 Posts
yeap it definitely sounds very good overall. even with ipod stuff
not so many cars have a sub on the dash (deep inside the dash) while actually its on the trunk looking up (without kicks and with so poor consturcted doors by factory).
worths every penny (eurocent or drachmes)
I noticed that things do not sound good when using an ipod as a source, even if using a dock with line-out. Is that what you are referring to?
I have been using an i-20 dock which i hacked up (it was ugly and big) and things seem to sound OK, but my ears are mostly untrained.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
This Alpine HU doesn't extract the digital signal from the iPod. The main problems behind this are firstly the iPod's DAC's, which can't realistically be better than those in the F#1 Status processor, and secondly the multiple conversions the signal has to suffer.

·
Director of Whatever
835 Posts
Got it, I didn't know how the signal path was.
You should try the I20 dock, then. It bypasses the ipod/iphone's DAC and provides both digital toslink and RCA outputs (with a better DAC) and costs ~$100.
What's more, it comes with a (admittedly cheap) IR remote which can be used to control payback.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
The signal path in my case is: Apple iPod Classic 120GB -> Alpine IVA-W505R -> Alpine PXA-H900 -> Mcamps -> speakers. I've been long contemplating on getting the i20 dock, I might try it (or something similar) in a future system. As it is now, I only use the iPod for everyday listening and the sq is, well, adequate. :)

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Beautiful work

181 - 191 of 191 Posts