DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Right, here's a small update (more than a month after the last one). :laugh:

These are some of the wires that have to go through to the back. Luckily no multiple runs of RCA's, just an optical link, but the AI-Net cables aren't very slim either.

About 20 minutes later they were "techflexed" (along with a couple of other wires for remote etc).

Here's the bundle of cabling in the boot (the grey techflex contains speaker cables).

And here's a preview of the mid and tweeter rings. The angle shown here is not the final one.

The sides of the dash under the A pillars will be left open so the L4's can "breath" into the dash itself.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I found the pics that were missing, so here's my braiding work:

Power cable (Alfatec 1/0AWG)

Speaker cable (Cordial multicore)

Here you see where the speaker cable goes through the metal and into the door (through a rubber grommet).

BTW, the pieces of cloth tape you see sticking out have been trimmed. It's much cleaner-looking now, but most of it will be heat-shrunk at some point to be safe(r). I just have to remember to slide the heatshrink in before I close the cables under the plastics. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Remember this?

Well forget it. Here's the A-pillars as they stand now. They'll remain unfinished for a while, next in line is the boot build.

Obviously they do stand out a bit, but not that much in real life. The pics were taken with the camera at a smaller distance than where your head is (normally, unless you drive glued to the steering wheel :clown: ).

Yes, the car is very dirty.

What do you guys think? Questions/proposals/opinions welcome.

·
Registered
170 Posts
wow!
you reached the pillar stage 6 months earlier than me!!!!
that quite a progress!
they do not stand out
this who speakers should be mounted on pillars. (yeah right its HOW not who)
if you want to hide them send them to kicks or stay with oem :D:rimshot:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
wow!
you reached the pillar stage 6 months earlier than me!!!!
that quite a progress!
It's not like that at all. Yours had the boot build ready when the A-pillars started. :p

A small update, basically slightly better pics of the A-pillars (today the car was outside, no sun though, damn).

This is where the A-pillar panel will be cut so the L4 will vent into the dash.

And this is the start of the boot build.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Another small and insignificant update just to keep things rolling, as I don't really have anything new to show you. :blush:

Here's the left A pillar on the bench.

The lower part will be cut (read above) and the rest will be covered in the same soundproofing material that was used on the doors. There will be no resonance whatsoever in these pillars. :cool:

This is a closeup of the grille used on the L4s. Close match or what?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This is one of the donor signal cables. It's a Monster Cable 401XLN, older model but with strands of various diameters, a feature which Monster call "Time Correct". I quote from the Monster site:

Time Correct® multiple-gauge wire networks ensure accurate phase and amplitude signal response, while advanced PEX™ and MicroFiber® insulation maximizes signal integrity. The result: bass notes are deep and tight and transients faster for greater inner detail.
Can of worms? I know. I don't care. I bought the cables at a nice price. ;)

It'll be stripped and cut to pieces, so we can make new cables (twisted pairs). I've already got a few rca plugs hehe. See if you can spot the mistake.

Those Turbine plugs are super strong though, I can tell you that.

That's all for now. As it stands, the sub enclosure is out of the car for more layers of FG and sound deadening etc. More in a few days.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Right, as most of you know, this build thread is located in 3 different fora. In the TA thread, today's discussion is about opening up the rear of the A-pillar panels so the L4's can breath better.

This was my scheduled cut-up:

And I've been proposed to cut this as well:

The area inside the red line is a thin layer of plastic but was kept there for a reason. The main concern is that the panel should not lose integrity or rigidness due to less "nerves" in the back. So, it'll probably be reinforced with even more FG filler wherever necessary.

Also, the rear of the baffle will be chamfered (as in other L3/L4 builds) for better air flow behind the driver.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I really like how those pillars are coming together. Great work! Do you have any info on that grill material you are using? Its as close a match to those L1 Pro SEs as I think you can get.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
LOL. (10 pics per post, insert lol smiley here).

Roll on with the boot build.

It'a modular construction, with separate sections that will be capable of getting out of the car if need occurs. Naturally it'll be a time consuming procedure as cables will need to be removed first etc.

It's comprised of 3 main sections: a) sub box, b) sub baffle, processor installation and power distribution, c) amplifier installation.

If separating the sub box to the baffle sounds confusing, don't worry, it'll be explained a bit later.

So, this is a and b:

This is a and c:

This is a, b and c:

And this is how the equipment will sit in it:

The reason we made the sub baffle a separate piece is because, well, it was easier that way. :lol:

The sub box is 40 litres, about double what the specific sub needs, so it will be filled with 20 litres of something to bring it back to the sub's specifications. We used the whole spare wheel well, because in the future I might need a sub change and it would be stupid to build a new box for it from the start.

The baffle consists of 3 pieces: one that's screwed/glued/fg'ed to the rest of the box (part b), one on top of that (held in place with t-nuts and sealant), on which the sub will be screwed and a last piece that will cover the sub screws.

Here's a quick drawing:

and a couple of quick pics:

Although a tight fit, the whole build will be screwed to these stock locations - 2 on either side - for maximum safety (no metal drilling in the boot please).

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What interests me more in this case is this, the RS232 connector:

Which was removed from its stock location and the cables were covered with cloth tape...

And then we modified the case bottom slightly:

so the cables could be run through that hole (notice the inevidable scratch, the paint is very weak - the scratch was there before the mod though).

Here's the end result, the connector assembly out of the case.

21 - 40 of 191 Posts