DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - been lurking the boards for a while - finally got around to doing a build on my 2010 Camaro - it's my first big build... majority of my audio installs prior consisted of a box in the trunk with the amp screwed to the back... I really wanted to do this one "right" - please go easy on me... lol

Everything was done by me, in my garage... took me about 3 weeks, working mainly on the weekends and at night when I got home from work..

Used a lot of equipment from previous installs... Far from the top shelf stuff you guys are using but it sounds pretty good to my ears...

MB Quart Components (6.5) up front - Tweeters in Stock location
MB Quart 6x9s
Powerbass 12" S124D Subs
Audio Control LC6i
JL 300.4 for the MB Quarts
JL 500.1 for the Subs
Kicker 1/0 ga power and ground
Kicker Distro Blocks (1/0 :: 4ga)
Stinger 12 ga speaker wire
All wiring soldered/heat shrunk
250 sq ft of Fatmat 80 mil
15 sq yds of Ensolite

Pics:
Fatmat

·
Registered
396 Posts
must have been scary taking all those pieces out to sound deaden! i'm still too nervous to do mine.

sweet build so far, i tried a false floor on mine but was scared of all the heat it made here in south carolina.

did you pad under the black vinyl?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
must have been scary taking all those pieces out to sound deaden! i'm still too nervous to do mine.

sweet build so far, i tried a false floor on mine but was scared of all the heat it made here in south carolina.

did you pad under the black vinyl?
Yeah it was a little nerve racking removing the seats and carpet and console... but hey if your gonna do it... go big or go home right

I did pad under the vinyl... I actually padded twice lol.. I bought 3/4 inch batting foam from Joann's fabric but it ended up looking to "puffy" so I went back and got 1/4" foam batting which turned out to be much much better...

I went with the false floor but put the fans in and made sure the amps are well ventilated... theres a large hole underneath each amp as well as exhaust holes on the opposite wall...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Glad you posted what thickness padding you used under your vinyl. I am also kind of worried about the puffy look.
I think I may go with 1/8" CCF and see how that looks. I do like the very flat tight fit look you get using little to no
foam. I'm mostly worried about squeeks and such from the material rubbing together. You wouldn't notice this but in
my car I have EVERYTHING mounted inside the cab. Really have no other choice. The front boot is way too small....

Can you say how much air those fans are moving? I was thinking of using a cage fan to keep the rack really thin but
also worried it may not flow enough.

Nice work so far....

·
Registered
136 Posts
Great work for a first build. I assume this is not your first woodworking or electronics project.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
in the cooling, it seems you have an even airflow throughout the amplifier enclosure, but concentrated the heat (via the heat-sinks) in a small area.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chad Any suggestions? I have 3 fans blowing across the amps - the amps are raised up 1/2" off the rack and there are 2 large holes cut out under each amp along with the back wall having (7) 2" Exhaust ports.. the (3) fans are situated in the following - one in the middle of the 300.4, one in the middle of the heatsinks and one in the middle of the 500.1

do you think this is insufficient? should I reposition the amps? When the fans are on if I hold my hand over the exhaust holes its a pretty strong flow of air... im hoping its sufficient

·
Registered
136 Posts
You should have the fans draw air across the heatsink. Not force air across it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you posted what thickness padding you used under your vinyl. I am also kind of worried about the puffy look.
I think I may go with 1/8" CCF and see how that looks. I do like the very flat tight fit look you get using little to no
foam. I'm mostly worried about squeeks and such from the material rubbing together. You wouldn't notice this but in
my car I have EVERYTHING mounted inside the cab. Really have no other choice. The front boot is way too small....

Can you say how much air those fans are moving? I was thinking of using a cage fan to keep the rack really thin but
also worried it may not flow enough.

Nice work so far....
I ended up wrapping the 3/4 inch foam and it was WAAAAY too puffy... think old school bubble jackets... so I ended up taking the foam out and rewrapping with no foam... it was too flat for me, kinda looked like painted wood... so I went out and bought the 1/4 inch foam batting and its perfect for my taste... the 1/8 inch CCF might work for you if you prefer a flatter look... I have no noise squeeks with the material but slight vibration of the plexi... working on maybe putting a thin layer of CCF in between the edges of the plexi and the wood...

The fans are moving a pretty decent amount of air... if I hold my hand over the exhaust vents on the other side I can feel the air pretty strongly... dont know what the fans are rated but I can double check when I get home

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
do you think this is insufficient? should I reposition the amps? When the fans are on if I hold my hand over the exhaust holes its a pretty strong flow of air... im hoping its sufficient
as long as it's hot air coming out of the holes then you are removing heat :D

When I did mine I actually blew the fans up from the underside and made a duct of sorts via the bottom of the amp and a slot in the mounting surface.

One must understand though, my JL is in a MUCH tighter spot than yours so getting as much air as possible over the heatsink was a primary goal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You should have the fans draw air across the heatsink. Not force air across it.
So are you recommending I turn the middle fan backwards to pull air across instead of pushing it across?... wouldnt this in theory be the same thing though considering air will be moving across the heatsinks from back to front instead of front to back?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts