DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a Honda Civic LX '03 sedan and I'm looking to replace the door 6.5" stock speakers. I'm not planning on adding an amp right now (certainly a possibility in the future though) so I would like speakers that have high sensitivity. I'm also looking for the best sound quality above all other characteristics. Bass would be nice (not planning on getting a sub) but is not imperative.

So far, I have listened to what my local Best Buy has out, including Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, Kicker, Alpine, and Polk. I didn't write down all the models, but they were all around the $50~$80 range. My favorite out of their selection was the Polk DXI651 ($100) and the Alpine SPE-6000 a close second.

Have you had any experience with these speakers? Do you have any tips or recommendations for purchasing new speakers? Do you know of any speakers under $150 a pair that you consider "better" than the Polk DXI651s?

And lastly, how much of choosing speakers is personal preference and how much is generally accepted knowledge (as in, some speakers are universally favored over others)?

Thanks in advance for your responses and advice.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Are you against purchasing online?

Might want to check these out:

Pioneer TS-D1720C - for front stage

Pioneer TS-D1702R - rear speakers

Just recently installed the 5x7/6x8" versions into my dad's F150, and he LOVES them. Must say, I'm very impressed by them to not have an amplifier, just running off a JVC head unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you liked the polks, then seriously look into the db6501 component system.
Sorry I forgot to mention that I'm only considering coaxial speakers because I figured that'd be the easiest install and the civic only has one speaker in the door. Just curious, if I were to do a component system, would that require me to cut another mount in the door for the tweeter?

But would you still recommend the polk db coaxial series?

·
Registered
313 Posts
certainly. that's what my done had in his VW passat, he was very happy with them. and, according to crutchfield, the db and the dxi are the same. appearance is a little different and they're marketed towards different people, but that's it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Hello everyone!

I have a Honda Civic LX '03 sedan and I'm looking to replace the door 6.5" stock speakers. I'm not planning on adding an amp right now (certainly a possibility in the future though) so I would like speakers that have high sensitivity. I'm also looking for the best sound quality above all other characteristics. Bass would be nice (not planning on getting a sub) but is not imperative.

So far, I have listened to what my local Best Buy has out, including Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, Kicker, Alpine, and Polk. I didn't write down all the models, but they were all around the $50~$80 range. My favorite out of their selection was the Polk DXI651 ($100) and the Alpine SPE-6000 a close second.

Have you had any experience with these speakers? Do you have any tips or recommendations for purchasing new speakers? Do you know of any speakers under $150 a pair that you consider "better" than the Polk DXI651s?

And lastly, how much of choosing speakers is personal preference and how much is generally accepted knowledge (as in, some speakers are universally favored over others)?

Thanks in advance for your responses and advice.
Generally the more efficient the speakers the LESS bass response they have. So if you want bass out of your mains you're going to need an amplifier. There's no getting around that. And having listened to the speakers at Best Buy tells you almost nothing about how they'll perform in your car, especially since that speaker board at Best Buy is also amplified.

I appreciate high sensitivity mains because they let me run head unit power but I do cross them over so my mains produce nearly no bass. But my subwoofer makes up for it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
plus, you may find that you'll have less bass out of after market speakers opposed to factory because most people generally run a sub after market so that's the way they're designed

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Polk DXI650 coaxials are similar to the DB651 with the same voicing. (the DB651 are under $65 at Amazon which is a great deal)

Somewhat neutral response that does not sound "exciting" at first, but easy to listen for long periods of time. These coaxials take more power very well (though I know an amp is not in your plan) with the bass coming alive. If you like a brighter sound, consider the Infinity 6.5 coaxials (6032cf) which also do well off of deck power.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I like Kenwood, Pioneer and Polk for head unit power. If I had to pick out of the bunch, I'd vote Pioneer TS-A1685R. I've never installed Alpine's co-axials off of deck power personally so I can't comment - I'm sure they'd be fine, too. I don't personally recommend to people to get "the best speaker" and then run off of deck power because they'll generally be so under-powered whatever is so great about them won't be great. But I'm proven wrong from time to time... but why waste your money?

If you can swing it, get one of the following two amplifiers, hide it somewhere (even secured somewhere behind your dash). You'll get better bass and volume. It'll require some wire tapping (if you're going to TAP, use Posi-Taps, IMO; but you should solder).

Clarion XC1410 Compact 4-channel car amplifier — 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com
or
Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack Upgrade any car radio to 45 watts RMS X 4 at Crutchfield.com

Both of these you can find used or new online or sometimes discounted at your local shop, otherwise Crutchfield has a few open boxes that'll get you a bit of a discount. My vote would be the Alpine unit as it's a little smaller and I'm more comfortable running it off of the deck's power and ground wires, though whenever I install I just use some primary wire straight to the battery and ground to some metal anyway (easy). Installing the above amps has made a night-and-day difference to customers on a budget looking for a little more bass and volume. I've been consistently impressed, myself.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i don't know if they're in your price range but if they are, the jl tr-series sounds reasonable for the price. nothing special, but easy to listen to for long periods of time and not horrible mid bass IMO

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cdt has a pair of coaxles in thant range that just blew me away off of headunit power. I had the cl61 comps and loved them so a coworker put a pair of the coaxles in his jeep off of a jvc deck and I'm thinking of getting the coaxles for my new car. If you want a brick and mortar place then the polks I've heard have sounded great for what they where too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Polk DXI650 coaxials are similar to the DB651 with the same voicing. (the DB651 are under $65 at Amazon which is a great deal)

Somewhat neutral response that does not sound "exciting" at first, but easy to listen for long periods of time. These coaxials take more power very well (though I know an amp is not in your plan) with the bass coming alive. If you like a brighter sound, consider the Infinity 6.5 coaxials (6032cf) which also do well off of deck power.
Hmm, I just heard the DB651 at a Fry's and they sounded significantly different from the dxi651's I heard. The highs sounded harsher. Do you think that is just due to how they were housed? Or are the dxi's and db's really different?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Could be the way they had them set up, if they were pointed at your ears, you would pick up more of the highs. Some also have a db selector switch for the tweeter. Polk makes a very solid, great sounding product for a more than reasonable price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
certainly. that's what my done had in his VW passat, he was very happy with them. and, according to crutchfield, the db and the dxi are the same. appearance is a little different and they're marketed towards different people, but that's it.
Ya, this is what I've heard (db==dxi) from searching around but I just looked on polk's site and the dxi651 has an aluminum dome tweeter and polypropylene cone whereas the db651 has a silk/polymer composite dome tweeter and a polymer/mica composite cone. So maybe the two speakers are different (not just cosmetically)?

And I really appreciate all the comments/advice so far.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
And also, for my Civic, Crutchfield says that only the slim model dxi651s will fit in the front doors but Amazon says that the normal version will fit. I know deep down that I should probably listen to Crutchfield but I'd like the extra bass extension if it was possible to fit the normal version :p

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hmm, I just heard the DB651 at a Fry's and they sounded significantly different from the dxi651's I heard. The highs sounded harsher. Do you think that is just due to how they were housed? Or are the dxi's and db's really different?
I had both Polk coaxes (db651 and dxi650). Very similar signature -- on axis, the dxi650 have a slight dip around 8khz, but that is the main difference.

Now the new dxi651 have an aluminum dome tweeter (rather than silk/polymer), so these may sound different after all. Remember to listen to them as you intend to mount them -- I found the older Polk coaxes to sound better on axis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I'm gonna go with the Polk dxi651s, only $75 right now on crutchfield.

Thanks for your help guys! I might be back later for amp/subwoofer questions :D

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have experience with 3 sets of Polks, but all were amplified. My DB6501 set has held up better than my cousin-in-law's dxi set, but he has more power on his (he blew both mids a month apart from each other).

However, these speakers sound great on everything, but you want the tweeters off axis if they can't be turned down. If you are planning to mount coaxials low in your front doors, they will do very well for sure.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
While I think both the Polk db651 (db651s) and the Pioneer TS-D1602R would be good choices, I also think you ought to take a look at the options from JBL. Namely the P662 (P662s). These have an aimable tweeter as well as a tweeter attenuation switch built in. This allows for a little more flexibility in terms of "tuning" to get the best sound you can out of a simple set of coax speakers. Cost is right in line with what you're looking to spend as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts