DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to build my own enclosure for my subs in my 09 rav4 base model. As i am a college student i dont want to spend money on paying for others to build. In need of guidance, have many questions: do i need to build a box or can i just put a piece of wood ontop of the cargo are to hold the speakers? Attached is the space of the car im talking about

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
You could use the cargo, but you would still need to seal the chamber that you make by using the cargo area. First so how deep it would be by laying a flat peace of wood or ruler across the cargo and see how deep it is. Then look to see if the sub you have, or will get. Will fit. You may be able to use one 12” driver in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Yes, you can do this. I plan on doing something very similar

Just make sure to seal off potential leaks with rubberized weather stripping. Also, two 10" subwoofers are going to want to jump around and vibrate. Make sure you can either screw the false floor board down or secure it by other means. For instance, in my photo I have metal ties downs in each of the 4 corners. These might come in handy.

Ge0

Reactions: Kate7600

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could use the cargo, but you would still need to seal the chamber that you make by using the cargo area. First so how deep it would be by laying a flat peace of wood or ruler across the cargo and see how deep it is. Then look to see if the sub you have, or will get. Will fit. You may be able to use one 12” driver in it.

The cargo area is about 9in deep and the subs are around 6in tall

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have also looked at noico sound deadening for the area, would that be ok and the first step I need to take? For the top piece where the subs will be mounted, do I absolutely need to use MDF or can i use 3/4 to an inch of plywood?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes you can use plywood and I would double the pieces you use to make it thick in so it won’t flex. Go on YouTube and do a search for how to fiberglass a subwoofer box there you’ll get much more information than I can give you on this post

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
You don't need to fiberglass in this cargo pocket. Just go to the hardware store and buy two 4x4 sheets of 3/4" Baltic Burch plywood. If you can't afford that then 3/4" MDF will do the trick. I just bought two sections of 4x4 3/4" MDF from my local HW store for $34. This should be doable. Spend an extra $40 and get the high grade plywood for better results.

Ge0

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You don't need to fiberglass in this cargo pocket. Just go to the hardware store and buy two 4x4 sheets of 3/4" Baltic Burch plywood. If you can't afford that then 3/4" MDF will do the trick. I just bought two sections of 4x4 3/4" MDF from my local HW store for $34. This should be doable. Spend an extra $40 and get the high grade plywood for better results.

Ge0
So basically buy plywood, bolt the subs to it, bolt the plywood to the cargo area? do I need to sound proof or do anything to the base of the cargo area?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
It would be helpful if you could provide more detail about your cargo floor.

Is the area you are talking about the RED arrow? Is that a plastic tub or metal under the carpet? What's the other space with the yellow arrow? What does it look like with the cover on?

Does the cover sit on this lip?

Here is what I have in mind. Either place the weather stripping on the cargo bucket rim or in the wooden baffle to make a seal here:

You could probably even bolt your amp down here:

Mount your subs to the baffle and then secure your baffle with screws (red arrows):

You mentioned being in college and on a budget. You could do this for under $50 in materials. Ain't going to get much cheaper than this and will give you a decent amount of bass. Sure, you could break out the fiberglass and make a custom enclosure in the tub. But that's messy and can get expensive. Try my idea first to see if it satisfies you.

You could apply sound deadener under this if you have the budget. But, not absolutely necessary.

My only concern is the power wiring going to the sub amp. Be careful and read up on how to properly route and fuse the wire if you have not done this before. I'm not saying you don't know how. But, I don't know how familiar you are with doing this. I've seen more than one newbie set their car on fire because they didn't properly fuse and protect their power feed.

P.S. My first car subwoofer project in college consisted of a 12" driver I got in a garage sale plus two 5 gallon buckets mounted in the trunk of my Cutlass Supreme. You are much better off than I was. At least you have folks that can help you in forums such as this.

Ge0

Attachments

·
Listener of Music
3,275 Posts
Not any plywood. 13 ply Baltic birch is the best. Home Depot and Lowe's don't carry it but a lot of local lumber yard do. It's light, dense, and easy to work with. Low dust compare to MDF and can easily be screwed on the edges.

Listen to Geo. One rectangular box is as simple as it gets for a beginner. Definitely make your mistakes on low expense, low complication projects.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Not any plywood. 13 ply Baltic birch is the best. Home Depot and Lowe's don't carry it but a lot of local lumber yard do. It's light, dense, and easy to work with. Low dust compare to MDF and can easily be screwed on the edges.

Listen to Geo. One rectangular box is as simple as it gets for a beginner. Definitely make your mistakes on low expense, low complication projects.
Very good point. Spend the extra few bucks and get a 4x4 sheet of 3/4" or even 1" thick Baltic Burch Plywood. MDF would be my 2nd choice. Stay away from cheap plywood.

Ge0

1 - 14 of 14 Posts