DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I 've got a renault megane ii and finaly i decided to change the audio gear of the car.

I was thinking about using component speakers (like MTX TRS-504, Alpine sxe-1350s) but kicker got me... So i would like to go for 40SCS54 (5.25") & 40SCS44 (4") & a pair of quality tweeter like alpine (??), driven by a single sony 4x55w (4 - channels).

2 out of 4 channels will power the rear speakers (4"), so I only have 2 channels to power both front coaxial (5.25") and tweeters (1").

My question: Is it possible to connect them a safe way so i can get an even sound from coaxial and tweeters?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EATURES
ALPINE TWEETER
Power range: 45 watts RMS (280 watts peak power)
Frequency Response: 4kHz - 20kHz
Sensitivity: 88dB SPL ([email protected])
Inbuilt passive x-over [-6db/oct.]

KICKER 40SCS54
Power range: 2-75 watts RMS (225 watts peak power)
Frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 90 dB

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it isnt worth buying coaxial? Should i go for a component one(w/crossover)?

*Does anybody know about hertz component 130?

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Why would you want a coax, and an extra tweeter? That will most likely sound terrible.

I'd recommend looking at a decent component set within your budget.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
i would do the tweeters and a 6 1/2" woofer to match up with it, and scrap the coax and scrap the rear speakers. Do you have the ability with the amp or the head unit to low pass cross the front midrange speaker? If not and you like the alpine tweeter i would search for an alpine component set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Guys is it a problem to use 3Ω impedance speaker to 4-8Ω head unit?

Also, my head unit (SONY MEX-BT3600U) has 6 outputs (2 front, 2 rear, 2 sub) and i cant understand whats the meaning of 4 channel (x52watt) when it has 6 outputs...???

I mean whats the distribution of the output power per rca??

·
Registered
221 Posts
It means that you can change the "volume" between front and rear outputs as a user selection (Fade function). You can use those outputs as a full channel set of 2 pairs, meaning you really have 4 individual output channels, plus two lower pass output channels (probably 250hz and lower but check the manual).

What speakers are 3 ohms? If you start dipping into lower impedances, you create a bunch more heat in the HU. So, if you end up with lower impedance than rated at the HU, you should start looking at separate components to drive those speakers. There is no reason to go lower than 4 ohms on a separate component set per say. Yes, all speakers dip in impedance, but if they mainly hover lower than 4 ohms, you can overtax the internal amp in the HU.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
I understand you are from Greece, so product availability may be an issue for you.

Are you using only the Sony MEX-BT3600U to power the speakers or do you also have a separate amplifier? I ask, because the head unit is probably only providing 10-15W of power on the speaker level outputs. I'm also not seeing any information in the manual regarding crossovers, which could also be an issue for you.

What is your budget (preferably in US dollars) for your project?

Without more information, all I could really say is focus your budget on a nicest set of components you can afford. (Looks like you're looking at 5.25" models.) I also wouldn't worry much about speakers that are marketed as 3 Ohm. They should be fine with most any head unit or amplifier. Where you may run into trouble are if you look at drivers rated at 2 Ohm. 4 Ohm is typically a nominal rating, with some drivers actually having an Re down in the 2s.

Skip the rear speakers for now and you may need to pick up some "bass blockers" if you don't have an external amplifier. These would probably be fine... https://pac-audio.com/catalog/specialty-items/bb-1pr

1 - 9 of 9 Posts