DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!

I just registered for the March 27th Lonestar SQ Shootout. I'm going to be competing in a no-money round. This is my first event ever. Never even been to one. I guess I'm a sink or swim kind of guy. Any advice? Are there any of those "I wish I would have known before" kind of things?

Thanks!

-Jay

·
Registered
2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 M/T
264 Posts
A detailed build log with pictures will answer Judges questions with what they can not see

·
Former Installator
234 Posts
Hopefully you have good judges... have fun and learn as much as you can.

Reactions: JaySea20

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Best and IMO most important piece of advice.... enjoy yourself.

Secondary to that, exactly what @GoldRiver above said, listen to vehicles and meet people. If a judge critiques your system negatively, don't take it to heart, but listen and ask for advice (they may give you some, they may not) on how you can improve.

If a judge is a good bit shorter or taller than you, make sure to adjust the seat so that they are in the optimal listening position.

Make sure everything is working. I competed once, the judge called me over and played me a couple things that sounded really screwy. After some head scratching when I got home, I had everything playing in mono!!! :ROFLMAO: Sure made my troubles with stage width disappear once I figured that out.

Above all though, enjoy yourself. I've competed 3 or 4 times now, it's always good fun.

·
Registered
2018 VW GTI S VWR springs, DAP spacers, OEM sounds
651 Posts
I’m pretty sure I’m going to be there but not to compete but to observe. My buddy David will be there with his Shelby F150, it’s a bad ass truck.

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
A few points
Unless you are competing in install in Iasca or Meca, then pics aren't needed
Basic pics are needed for Emma.

Read every orgs rulebook. Then read it again.

As one of the $$ round judges and a Meca judge the best advice is read up on the rules, read some tuning tutorials.
There are numerous tuning guides online, the one on audiofrog is great place to start.

Get familiar with the judging tracks. Info is on each orgs website
All free to download.

Listen to as many cars as possible.
Get feedback on your car from other competitors. But just remember they aren't judging that day...so just bc Joe Schmoe thinks your car is the best car he's heard all day..if he isn't a judge...it doesn't matter.

Take it all in.
Relax. Try and have fun. Ask questions politely.

Don't be a dick.

Reactions: JaySea20 and ANS

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Rule #1. Don't 2nd guess yourself. Rely on what you have done and what you have spent countless of hours working on.

Don't stay up all night before the event making last minute tweaks. Inevitably you'll screw something up and go into judging with some setting you forgot to change back out of haste.

Just relax and have fun. Learn while you are there vs. freak out.

Reactions: JaySea20

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Enjoy it and don’t be offended if the judges give loads of feedback, it just means you have scope to get better 👍🏼

·
Registered
2018 VW GTI S VWR springs, DAP spacers, OEM sounds
651 Posts
I’m pretty sure I’m going to be there but not to compete but to observe. My buddy David will be there with his Shelby F150, it’s a bad ass truck.
David is also willing to listen and give you some good advice. I just dabble so my opinion isn’t worth much.

·
Registered
2019 Ram 1500
106 Posts
Be a sponge and take everything in. Listen to other competitors vehicles. Have fun!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts