DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been a lurker for awhile reading threads and gathering information and I think it’s time I pull the trigger on a much needed upgrade for my 2018 Honda Accord sport with the base audio system. I dont want to go too crazy but I do want quality products. I've already started to piece a few things together, my biggest hurdle is deciding on what amps and dsp to get. Ideally I want to stay with something that has a matching 4 channel and mono channel. My top three options at the moment are the:

JL RD400/4 and JL RD1000/1
Rockford T400x4ad and Rockford T750x1bd
Audio Control D-4.800 and Audio Control LC-1.800

Part of me is leaning towards the Audio control set for the cost savings of not having to buy an external DSP, however the other half is going towards either the Helix mini or the Helix DSP.2.

For subwoofer I have a 12in kicker L7 in the factory ported box that a friend sold to me for a really low price. Midrange, I'm not too concrete on that just yet but the current plan is to order a pair of GS60s to go along with the seas prestige 27TAFNC/D tweeters I already have.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Sounds pretty good choices so far to me. A great budget amp like the 5 channel nvx on the budget end, would leave plenty of money for a external dsp and the tuning equipment or a dirac mini dsp. I'm sure the gs60 are great mids but the Stevens mb6 in my accord rocked and was easy to tune. I "upgraded" to GB60 and so far i haven't gotten them near the mb6. Hopefully i can but I'm glad the Stevens are very affordable just in case

·
Registered
403 Posts
I don't want to derail what you're trying to accomplish, but this is just a thought. If it were me, I would definitely look into using a single amp rather than two separate ones. In fact, it's exactly what I'm working on right now.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Alternatively a small 4-ch can sometimes be put in an area where the wires are easier to run, Andy then a sub amp can be put closer to the sub.
Plus if either fails, are needs to be changed/upgraded, then it is potentially easier.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds pretty good choices so far to me. A great budget amp like the 5 channel nvx on the budget end, would leave plenty of money for a external dsp and the tuning equipment or a dirac mini dsp. I'm sure the gs60 are great mids but the Stevens mb6 in my accord rocked and was easy to tune. I "upgraded" to GB60 and so far i haven't gotten them near the mb6. Hopefully i can but I'm glad the Stevens are very affordable just in case
I want to keep a dedicated amp for the Sub because I listen to a lot of bass heavy music and want to have plenty of power. I’ll have to look into the Stevens mb6 the price looks pretty good, thanks

·
Registered
8,425 Posts
I'm concerned about the 12" in the factory ported box. Do you know the internal volume, and tuning frequency? Ported boxes aren't particularly universal, and if you're going for SQ you're taking a big chance on an enclosure that wasn't intended for that sub. A poorly matched ported box is one thing that will ruin your chances of getting good bass pretty easily. At a minimum, figure out the internal volume, and port specs of the box before going forward.

Will you be adding a tuning mic and RTA software to help tune?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sub is a loaded kicker enclosure with a 750rms 2ohm L7S I’m not sure of the internal volume or tuning. I’ll more than likely get a mic to help tune if it’s out of my skill set I’ll have a shop tune it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there any particular brand amp wise that’s better than the other between JL,Audio control, and Rockford?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry that was in reference to the amps I'm trying to narrow down in my original post.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Sorry that was in reference to the amps I'm trying to narrow down in my original post.
Okay, I wasn't sure. I think that it's a matter of preference on those. I don't think either package are bad choices.

·
Registered
52 Posts
FYI, no reason to have matching amps (mids/tweets & sub) unless you just want to.

I have a 19' Accord Sport and my buddy has a 18' Sport like yours. Make sure to tell the shop that installs to tap the front speakers for sub amp power and not the rear speakers which is more convenient. I read conflicting info regarding full signal to the rear speakers by way of the factory H/U. I took no chances and used power from the front speakers. Unfortunately, the shop that installed by friend's system used the rear speakers. We have the same 12" IncriminatorAudio Lethal Injection ported sub. There is a night and day difference in subwoofer output. I'm no car audio expert so take that example with a "grain of salt".

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m only interested in matching amps for aesthetic reasons. I’m definitely planning on pulling from the front for the signal, that seems to be where everyone else pulls from. I think that’s where the chimes and alerts are also.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I’ve been a lurker for awhile reading threads and gathering information and I think it’s time I pull the trigger on a much needed upgrade for my 2018 Honda Accord sport with the base audio system. I dont want to go too crazy but I do want quality products. I've already started to piece a few things together, my biggest hurdle is deciding on what amps and dsp to get. Ideally I want to stay with something that has a matching 4 channel and mono channel. My top three options at the moment are the:

Part of me is leaning towards the Audio control set for the cost savings of not having to buy an external DSP, however the other half is going towards either the Helix mini or the Helix DSP.2.
Any one of those amp combo's are pretty good.

If it were me; then I'd go with the T400x4 / T750x1 combo. They are ROCK SOLID amps.
I'd also look for a deal on a used Helix DSP.
The amps will all sound good / similar... but the DSP is what will make them sound great.
Might cost a bit more... but worth it, in the end.

I realize the Audio Control has a built-in DSP - I just don't like their software.
But if cost savings is your priority; then get this combo.
As mentioned; the DSP is what will make the real SQ difference in your system - not the amp brand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts