DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to place a sub in the back of my car, and I'm just starting the process of researching different ones. I have a coworker who really enjoys his JBL GTO1014. I'm considering getting the Dual-voice coil version and hooking it up to an MBquart Discus DSC2150 and running the voice coils in parallel. Does this sound like a solid setup? Keep in mind that I'm a student who's looking to do this on a budget.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Do you already have the DSC2150?
The reason I ask is because that amp and a dual 4 ohm coil sub isn't going to work out well, especially not with the coils in parallel. It can be bridged, but only to a 4 ohm load or higher.
If you already have that amp, the single coil GTO1014 will work out better for you.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So I'm looking to place a sub in the back of my car, and I'm just starting the process of researching different ones. I have a coworker who really enjoys his JBL GTO1014. I'm considering getting the Dual-voice coil version and hooking it up to an MBquart Discus DSC2150 and running the voice coils in parallel. Does this sound like a solid setup? Keep in mind that I'm a student who's looking to do this on a budget.
Thanks!

If thats all you can afford, then you aren't doing to bad. What kind of box and what kind of vehicle are you putting this in?

What is the overall desired effect you are looking for? Low and loud, loud and accurate, just to add some low end, the beginning of a monster project, etc?

You need ask yourself, what is your end goal with being "your first sub setup". It could get very expensive if you buy something you are not happy with or decide it is not enough and you want to upgrade. For car audio, having to much is sometimes better and cheaper for long haul.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you already have the DSC2150?
The reason I ask is because that amp and a dual 4 ohm coil sub isn't going to work out well, especially not with the coils in parallel. It can be bridged, but only to a 4 ohm load or higher.
If you already have that amp, the single coil GTO1014 will work out better for you.
I haven't purchased anything yet, I was just looking around the forums and I heard someone was looking to buy a low end amplifier and was looking at the discus. I understand the only real advantage to having a DVC sub is for impedance-matching, so if there is another amp at around the $100 price point, I'm definitely open to getting the SVC model.

If thats all you can afford, then you aren't doing to bad. What kind of box and what kind of vehicle are you putting this in?

What is the overall desired effect you are looking for? Low and loud, loud and accurate, just to add some low end, the beginning of a monster project, etc?

You need ask yourself, what is your end goal with being "your first sub setup". It could get very expensive if you buy something you are not happy with or decide it is not enough and you want to upgrade. For car audio, having to much is sometimes better and cheaper for long haul.
I'm putting this in an 07 civic. I know that I'm taking on a big project, but me and a friend are planning on custom building an enclosure and then (very carefully) cutting out a hole and mounting the speaker on the rear panel of the car (so it's open into the cabin). That being said, this is the "No question is too dumb" forum, and I'm open to suggestion and criticism.

This is definitely not the beginning of a monster project, the factory speakers are pretty nice, and because this car has a bit of road noise (probably my tires, but thats another story for another website) I'd rather invest in upgrading by home stereo system. The car just lacks a deep low end so the amp I'm buying is definitely only going to need to power the one sub (althought at the moment I'm not sure if I should go with the 10" or 12" sub.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I(althought at the moment I'm not sure if I should go with the 10" or 12" sub.
In the past I thought 10's were great and 12's were a waste. Well, I was wrong.

Head to your local audio shop and just start listening to 10's and 12's. For now do not get caught on the maker of the sub. Just listen to and see what you like the most. There are some 12's that sound like 10's and vice versa.

The desgin of you box will also play a big role in how your subwoofer will sound. If you have a ported, sealed, bandbass, etc.

Each have the Pros and Cons.
Check out these sites for ideas

The Subwoofer DIY Page

Car Audio Help Guide

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
i recommend these subs for $150 and below, they are 12s, will have great sound quality with any music. They will still get decent loud for a single subwoofer setup for a beginner.

SSA Dcon 12"
Image Dynamics IDQ 12"
Polk Audio MM 12"

im not very good with low power amps, but depending on what voice coil sub u get, if u need the amp to be at 1 ohm or 2 ohm here are some options that arent too bad.
MB Quart Reference amp
JBL amp
Kicker ZX amp

the kicker is probably ur best bet as it should do more than 300watts @2ohms which will push say the 12" ssa dcon well.

im just giving u ideas, and something to look at. these are by no means the best setup. like if u go with the polk its rated at 425 watts, so for best sound u should get like a 450-500 watt rms amp, though a 300 watt amp will be fine on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts