DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First I need to say I have been reading for a couple of months now and must say that this site and its members are awesome!

Okay,
What I currently have:

Alpine-9855
Kenwood kac-x522
Pioneer Premier (approx. 600wrms)
Polk Dxi6500 (fronts)
Treo TSX 15.44 (2.5 cu ft, ported, 35 hz f3)

Unfortunately the polks midbass's are blown. My fault. Oh well.

I would like to run active now that i need to replace my midrange speakers. I have been looking at madisound and parts express at mid drivers. I am trying to keep it under $50 per driver. I have seen a lot of different drivers but am really unsure as to what I should be looking for. I LP my sub at 80 hz and i dont know the range of the tweeter but i do know it is a 1" soft dome. I would like to reuse the tweeter if i can.

My question is this: What size of driver should i be looking for? I have looked at the 6.5" cone drivers on both sites, but i have also seen a lot of different sizes with similar range. Can anyone make recommendations? Additionally if it is possible for me to reuse my tweeter where should I cross it? As of now I do not have an amplifier to power the tweeters. I was going to use the kenwood on the mids. Any recommendations on amplifiers for the tweeters?
Thank you for your time!

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
These can be had for $102 with make offer Image Dynamics CX62 v.2

These are cheap and have good reviews Aurasound NS6-255-4A 6" Paper Cone Woofer 4 ohm

Also check here for some speaker tests Zaph|Audio

Should be able to cross them at 4KHz pretty easy without damage. But that's just a starting point, you can try lowering that point as you get more comfortable with the system and tuning. Might try an RTA setup to help you tune.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay cool! thank you for the pointers! I have read the $100 rta setup how to and have been seriously considering it once i go active. Does having one really help getting everything tuned in easier/more accurately? It does seem like to would be very helpful. Again thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts