DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a VIPER 3105V on the way.

i am asking for anything that will make it easier and/or better when installing it.
and/or, things to NOT do.

thanx

·
Registered
100 Posts
you didn't mention what kind of vehicle you're installing it in.....

Your sig says you drive an 01 S-10 so we have to assume that is what you are talkin bout.

If that is correct you need a module to work with the obdII. I personally always use one that I for some reason can't think of the name of (I want to say xk-1 or kx-1 or something like that) but you can go with the the much more expensive dball2 as well.

Point is with that truck you can't install it without it. Get good crimp pliers (not el cheapo ones that barely work (they HAVE to have a male and female side).

Otherwise everything for that truck is pretty simple and straight forward.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanx. what does this module do ? all this alarm is going to do is = starter kill, siren, shock sensor and flashing lights.

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you are just doing the basic functions then you should be fine not using a module.

the module basically talks between the alarm and the vehicle to control things like door locks and windows without having to hunt all the wires down via the serial bus.

Even with the module you would still need to cut the thick purple wire to the starter to kill it. So your install should be really simple.

Your most difficult spot for a beginner I would say would probably be grabbing the correct wire for the parking lights (will show as a ground when off and hot when on). the rest will be straight forward.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok

the starter wire, it needs to be cut in half ? then alarm leads connected to each end ?

the lights, i can get an ALLDATA schematic. where ta about would i find this wire ? probably on the column ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
3105V is pretty straight forward

BCM is below radio in center of dash

Alarm Main Harness:
ORANGE - Connect to Orange Lead on Pre-wired Starter Kill Relay
WHITE - White @ Lt Blue Connector Pin A5 of BCM Note: Set parking light polarity jumper on module to (-)
BLACK/WHITE - Gray/Black @ Lt Blue Connector Pin A3 of BCM
GREEN - Tan @ Purple Connector Pin B4 of BCM & Orange @ Purple Connector Pin B2 of BCM (Diode Isolate two separate connections)
BLUE - Not Used
VIOLET - Not Used
BLACK - Chassis Ground
YELLOW - Pink @ Ignition Harness
BROWN - Siren Output
RED - Red/White @ Ignition Harness
RED/WHITE - Not Used

Door Lock Harness:
LIGHT BLUE - Lt Blue @ Brown Connector Pin A4 of BCM
GREEN - White @ Brown Connector Pin A3 of BCM

Starter Kill Relay:
Cut vehicles starter wire in half and splice the two larger wires of the starter kill relay inline
Vehicles Starter Wire - Yellow @ Ignition Harness

·
Registered
254 Posts
For god sakes military splice everything. Do NOT use T-Taps.

Soldering data wires is good if you have them. (Which it seems you don't)

Prep the alarm BEFORE you install it into the vehicle. Disassemble the dash, look where you are going to mount everything (You NEED to properly and securely mount the brain INSIDE the vehicle). Use a drill to twist wires together that are going to similar locations. It makes everything much cleaner and easier to install. Just cap off unused wires.

For the starter kill relay, GREEN is KEY SIDE, PURPLE IS STARTER SIDE

I usually cut the Yellow & Orange wires, mount the starter kill relay, then just connect them back up with solder or crimp barrels.

Under the hood, mount the siren facing down to open ground if you can but not wear water can easily splash into it, this will make it as loud as it can be.

Take a look at the programming features, this alarm is simple but there are some convenience things that are nice to have.

Lastly, TEST TEST TEST your wires if you are unsure and always test the alarm FULLY once it is installed. Try to trigger it.

Also properly mount your antenna either on the driver top left corner of the windshield or at the center (I like the center running down next to rear view mirror) After your alarm is installed LEARN HOW TO DISARM IT AFTER IT HAS BEEN TRIGGERED. Many people forget this step, and in the heat of the moment when you have forgotten your fob or it has died, this will be a life saver.

And a last tip for new users, the ONLY time the alarm will prevent your car from starting is when it is triggered and currently going off OR if something horrible has happened wiring wise.

Happy installing!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i was reading the install manual, a little more tricky than i thought. i will have many questions as i get into this.

one thing it said = do not securely mount the brain, it will not properly trigger this way.

what do you think of this ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
i was reading the install manual, a little more tricky than i thought. i will have many questions as i get into this.

one thing it said = do not securely mount the brain, it will not properly trigger this way.

what do you think of this ?
IF they are too securely mounted, the shock sensor can be too sensitive. I zip tie the brain to a large bundle of wires. Just look under the dash and wherever there is space out of the way up high.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IF they are too securely mounted, the shock sensor can be too sensitive. I zip tie the brain to a large bundle of wires. Just look under the dash and wherever there is space out of the way up high.
ok, gotcha. next thing "Prep the alarm BEFORE you install it ". what does this mean ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
It means lay out your wiring first. Cut any unused wire shorter, zip tie things together in groups etc.

Basically anything you can do to make it less of a rats nest of wires BEFORE you actually start connecting wires in the car.

From my experience it is a lot easier to do those things on a workbench vs. upside down under a dash with less than optimal light ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah, ya know, i had thought that would be a good thing to do. to the point of actually making it work, if possible. before installing it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i started installing it, seems like i have to take half the truck apart . i took the seat out, man, did that make things easier.

one thing i have been wondering about = how to disable it, in case it goes bad ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it is now working, but not "installed". i just connected wires to see if i got it right. after it is fully functioning i will route the wires properly

1 - 20 of 43 Posts