1 Taramps 400/4 channel, 60 watts RMS per channel
1 Clarion EQS 755 7 band 1/2 din equalizer
Undecided on head unit

For power I'm planning to use:
The largest AGM I can fit in the battery well under the hood
270 amp custom alternator
1 Limitless Lithium 6k
Not sure what's a good brand of isolator to use

Battery compartment is 11" x 7" x 8.25" height. Looking at the XS Power D3400 for under the hood.

Trunk is 40" x 28" x 20" height

Trunk opening will fit a box 33" width and 17.25" height.

Using an online box size calculator I Arrived at the following dimensions:

Box External Dimensions
Width × Height × Depth32.00" × 15.00" × 21.86"
Material Thickness0.75"
Net Internal Volume3.60 ft3
Tuning Frequency32 Hz
Port Area42.00 inch2
Port Inlet Width × Height3.11" × 13.50"
Port Length22.79"

My questions are:
1 Is this sufficient power?
2 What gauge wire and how many runs from front to back?
3 What's a good isolator and do I even need one?
4 Any additional things I may have missed.

This is my first attempt at a serious build. If like to use for daily driver (I like loud bass pressure) as well as to to show at audio competitions. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Lewis King

· Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Personally, I'm a fan of simple, so I'll make the following recommendations based on not knowing the goals of your build, SQ, SPL, and type of vehicle etc...
  • Skip the dual batteries and custom alternator unless you are sure you need them. ***
  • Make two runs of 1/0 gauge wire, the second is in case you add a second battery in the future.
  • Install an upgraded battery in place of the stock battery, something like an XSPower or Northstar
In my opinion, the only reason for a second battery would be if you are interested in primarily SPL, for general listening it's not necessary. If you listen loud frequently, an upgraded alternator may be worthwhile if the stock can't adequately charge the battery.

*** If you plan on running the system for hours parked with the engine off, buy an external power supply that plugs into your stock battery and into an AC outlet, this will power your system without draining the battery.

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I'm a fan of simple, so I'll make the following recommendations based on not knowing the goals of your build, SQ, SPL, and type of vehicle etc...
  • Skip the dual batteries and custom alternator unless you are sure you need them. ***
  • Make two runs of 1/0 gauge wire, the second is in case you add a second battery in the future.
  • Install an upgraded battery in place of the stock battery, something like an XSPower or Northstar
In my opinion, the only reason for a second battery would be if you are interested in primarily SPL, for general listening it's not necessary. If you listen loud frequently, an upgraded alternator may be worthwhile if the stock can't adequately charge the battery.

*** If you plan on running the system for hours parked with the engine off, buy an external power supply that plugs into your stock battery and into an AC outlet, this will power your system without draining the battery.
So no second battery or alternator? Use stock alternator and the Xs power d3400? I think that's the biggest battery that will fit under the hood. I posted the dimensions of the trunk and front battery compartment as well.

· Registered
2006 Toyota Camry LE 2.4L - Seeing how good I can make cheap components sound.
599 Posts
So no second battery or alternator? Use stock alternator and the Xs power d3400? I think that's the biggest battery that will fit under the hood. I posted the dimensions of the trunk and front battery compartment as well.
I respectfully disagree about the alternator. You're going to be running almost 6000 watts rms and you said you like to really feel the bass pressure. There is no way your stock alternator can keep up even at partial volume.

My car has a 100 amp alternator and I'm running about 2000 watts rms. When i crank it, the voltage coming out of my alternator drops to 12.2 - 12.4 volts. If I listened to it turned all the way up all the time I would need an upgraded alternator.

My main concern is with three times the power, will 270 amps be enough? It all mainly depends on what volume you listen to it on a regular basis.

I may be wrong, but I think the alternator is absolutely necessary.

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I respectfully disagree about the alternator. You're going to be running almost 6000 watts rms and you said you like to really feel the bass pressure. There is no way your stock alternator can keep up even at partial volume.

My car has a 100 amp alternator and I'm running about 2000 watts rms. When i crank it, the voltage coming out of my alternator drops to 12.2 - 12.4 volts. If I listened to it turned all the way up all the time I would need an upgraded alternator.

My main concern is with three times the power, will 270 amps be enough? It all mainly depends on what volume you listen to it on a regular basis.

I actually agree with you I have a system in my car now and the LED lights dim when the bass hits for a quantum audio 1600 monoblock

· Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'm actually gonna go with the lithium 12k and just run everything from it. Turns out to be cheaper if you go for overkill.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.