DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never installed anything in a car nor do I know how. By using how to guides on the internet, is it possible to install my new system myself?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Of course it's possible. That's what this forum is all about. Just make sure to do plenty of research, ask questions here about anything you aren't sure about and use your noggin. What exactly are you planning on installing?

·
Registered
572 Posts
This is going to depend greatly on what kind of car you are talking about and what type of equipment you have in mind, not to mention your personal learning curve.

This is actually a question you need to ask yourself, because the only person who is going to be able to answer it is you. Swapping out speakers is very simple, where installing a head unit, processor, multiple amps, subs, ect... can be a process that takes many people several months to achieve.

Figure out what you are wanting to install, find a local shop and get an estimate, then ask yourself if you want to risk installing it yourself because many companies only honor a warranty if a certified installer is used.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an 04 cadillac cts, and my learning curve is usually above average. Speakerwise I'm planning on installing a component front and a 6.5 rear, both in door, as well as an amp powering them. Subwise its just 1 10" and an amp. I might leave the HU to a professional, since I have to replace the whole thing and its only like $30

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would bet you can do it. The thing to be worried about in my opinion would be removing the door panels without breaking them and things like that.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Do you have the BOSE system? Things get a little more complicated when you have the factory premium sound. Also remember breaking something on a Cadillac could negate any cost savings of having it professionally installed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You might want to have it professionally installed. It is very likely that if you hang around here, that you will soon be changing amps, speakers like the changing seasons. :)

At least if you get your power wire, ground wire, deck, and rca cords run properly the first time with no noise, you can have a great starting point. From their you can swap out the various gear sound dampen, and tune to your hearts content. What I would recommend is to watch the initial install as it is being done so you can understand how it all comes apart (Stereo bezel, door panels, carpet, etc). By doing this, you will know what tools are required and can repeat what you already have seen.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No its the non bose system, and all the cheapest install I can find (through a friend kinda) is 200. I really dont want to spend 200 on something I can possibly do myself. anyone can take off screws and plug **** in, I think

·
Registered
29 Posts
No its the non bose system, and all the cheapest install I can find (through a friend kinda) is 200. I really dont want to spend 200 on something I can possibly do myself. anyone can take off screws and plug **** in, I think
Wish it was that easy. These newer vehicles are a lot more then just plugging "**** in". They are a lot more advanced then your old sleds that used 3 power and 2 speaker wires to hook up a head unit and speaker. $200 sounds very reasonable to me. I owned a shop before, If I had to put a price on doing it, it would be a lot more then $200 with changing out 4 speakers, 1 head unit and adding 2 amps. Maybe just suck it up this time and pay the $200 and watch and learn what goes in to upgrading a car audio system. That's how I started out and build on that. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts