DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 337 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Go easy on me guys this is my first pillar build. I'm in the process of building them now. I'll be doing the milkshake tomorrow morning then using filler and sanding the chit out of them. I'll most likely be covering them in grille cloth tomorrow night. These will house a set of Audible Physics XR3m widebanders and a set of Morel MT23 tweeters. Here's a few pics of my progress so far.

Aiming the mid rings...

Mid and tweeter rings aimed and hot glued in place...

Drilled a buttload of holes in the pillar to help the glass adhere... I found that the easiest material to at least get my mold was women's pantyhose... I removed the ones I was wearing to wrap my pillars.:p

I'll post more pics tomorrow as I progress.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Even though this is your first pillar build your doing a great job.

Best of all you are doing a step by step from a beginners point of view. Please
keep posting each step as a build by pic kind of thing. Something very few take
the time to do.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I appreciate the encouragement. I have a whole new respect for pillar builds now. I'm really hoping that these turn out good! Going to bed! Tomorrow I finish these bad boys!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Looking good! Did you play with the angles before laying down resin?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A little milkshake action. I had extra so I coated the exterior with it as well... These should be nice and solid once they dry. I'll also be using modeling clay and deadener on the inside to reduce any unwanted resonances.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looks good so far! I'm contemplating doing pillars or kicks. I'm kinda scared to cut into them haha
Pick up a spare set of pillars from the wrecking yard. They're really not all that complicated... just time consuming! I'm hoping for some good results... I've used information from builds on here from Bing and others for reference... so far so good!

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
your doing a great job. you should pick up some thin mesh fiberglass, not needed but it makes things cleaner

did you check out my build log? it looks like you followed simplicitysuonds style, you msut of read allot of his logs :p

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your doing a great job. you should pick up some thin mesh fiberglass, not needed but it makes thingers cleaner and little less bondo.

did you check out my build log? it looks like you followed simplicitysuonds style, you msut of read allot of his logs :p
Yep! I like Bing's work and tried to use his build logs as reference. I'm going to bondo tonight... I have a nice powered sander so it'll make it a little easier. I have thick but stretchy light gray grille cloth coming in the mail tomorrow... I'm hoping that it matches nicely! If not I purchased some nice headliner material that matches well and has a decent stretch to it. I have my son all weekend so I'm hoping to finish this up by Friday afternoon! :cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
looking forward to seeing the progress on this, looks god so far!

I'm currently trying to decide if i should do a build for my tweeters in my E34 or leave them in the dash pointing at the screen. I guess i will have to have a play aiming them.

Gav

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looking forward to seeing the progress on this, looks god so far!

I'm currently trying to decide if i should do a build for my tweeters in my E34 or leave them in the dash pointing at the screen. I guess i will have to have a play aiming them.

Gav
Tweeters are MUCH easier to do! You don't even need to glass. Just some bondo and filler and you're good to go.

·
Registered
197 Posts
not sure if we get bondo over here but I've seen people make resin milkshakes. Fibreglass filler I've worked with before though, i used it for my kick builds.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Yep! I like Bing's work and tried to use his build logs as reference. I'm going to bondo tonight... I have a nice powered sander so it'll make it a little easier. I have thick but stretchy light gray grille cloth coming in the mail tomorrow... I'm hoping that it matches nicely! If not I purchased some nice headliner material that matches well and has a decent stretch to it. I have my son all weekend so I'm hoping to finish this up by Friday afternoon! :cool:
CAREFUL WITH POWER SANDER!! i can't even tell you how many times i took to much off with my dremel and palm sander, i honestly was most efficiant by hand, i think 150 was very efficiant paoper, gave good finsih that didnt take much work to take down finer. but that's me. are you use rage or bondo though? that changes things too

another thing i noticed after looking more closerley at your build your pods get a little narrow if you follow my build log, you'll see i came into allot pfoblems with that. your drivers dont' need much air, shoudln't be a big deal, but you want large sweeping curves, not tight convenient curves that fit easiest. you'll notice in my final set of pods I had a much more sweeping tail off the back of the pod. this also helps finish. what are you finishing these in by the way.

·
Registered
164 Posts
man, i didn't know you would get going on these so fast. did you get the speakers yet and see if they fit in your rings? your probably going to have to notch the rings out to fit the speaker terminals, the only build i've seen with the xr3m where no notching was required was when only 1/8" hardboard was used as a baffle.
i should have thought of this when i sent you the dimensions on those speakers but a couple minutes with a dremmel sanding bit and you should be good to go.
looking good so far, i can't wait to see the finished product and hear what you think of the speakers.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
man, i didn't know you would get going on these so fast. did you get the speakers yet and see if they fit in your rings? your probably going to have to notch the rings out to fit the speaker terminals, the only build i've seen with the xr3m where no notching was required was when only 1/8" hardboard was used as a baffle.
i should have thought of this when i sent you the dimensions on those speakers but a couple minutes with a dremmel sanding bit and you should be good to go.
looking good so far, i can't wait to see the finished product and hear what you think of the speakers.
Got that covered man... My Dremel is my friend. :) Should have my pillars done tomorrow... Won't be able to install them til Sunday night. I'll post more pics as things progress.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Looking good dude :thumbsup:. Can't wait to see these finished.

I'll be doing some pillars of my own in the near future. I always appreciate people taking the time to post pics of the build process.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looking good Fartin, I'm about to do the same thing in my STI with XR3M's as soon as my spare A Pillars arrive in the mail.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
Matt,
What method did you use to position the speakers?
How did you hold them in place during the positioning process?
Any pics of this?
How about a few links to the Bing threads you referenced?
Pics of said stockings (before while you were still weaing them and after they were stretched of the rings)?
I am also curious how the jbl ms-8 reacts to the change for you.
Good luck with the finishing touches.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Matt.

They look good so far, especial for your first try

So where did you find the matching grille cloth

Thanks for sharing the pics

1 - 20 of 337 Posts