DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

361 - 380 of 455 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Quick question. How do you normally do L & R eq. Do u run individually, go to auto eq? Or u must make and average of L&R. Go to EQ and input the same values for both channel? Definitely we do this after we EQ each driver right?

Sent from my using Tapatalk
I think it's best to subtract one side from the other. It depends on your dsp and how many filters you have. Rew has the add subtract feature, I myself haven't gotten that far.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts

I’ve taken a different approach lately. Rather than extensively and exhaustively interpreting and making major parametric decisions, I’ve backed off to old school.. Plain old 1/3 octave RTA. In audiotools I can pick any curve target txt file to tune to, then simply go at it, leveling and EQing individual drivers, then TA and phase so left side and right side match. I’ve done it a couple tries now and I tell ya, best image focus, stage size, separation and tonality I’ve ever been able to achieve in a very short amount of tuning time. As far as EQ goes, I for one am done with overthinking it. It’s real time with an RTA running on my iPad, while laptop is dedicated for the DSP. Works quick and gets it done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
Pay no attention to the response, that’s a loud room ambient noise.. just to show the two basic apps in Audiotools which can apply a curve target easily for reference.. 1/2 whitledge curve here in “RTA”, and in “FFT”. Both with Audiotools by Studio Six Digital.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts

I’ve taken a different approach lately. Rather than extensively and exhaustively interpreting and making major parametric decisions, I’ve backed off to old school.. Plain old 1/3 octave RTA. In audiotools I can pick any curve target txt file to tune to, then simply go at it, leveling and EQing individual drivers, then TA and phase so left side and right side match. I’ve done it a couple tries now and I tell ya, best image focus, stage size, separation and tonality I’ve ever been able to achieve in a very short amount of tuning time. As far as EQ goes, I for one am done with overthinking it. It’s real time with an RTA running on my iPad, while laptop is dedicated for the DSP. Works quick and gets it done.

It's a great app! I got my highest score from holding my phone next to my ear and adjusting real time. Right know I'm using REW auto eq with presets like a GEQ so I can continually adjust without running out of bands, then I have enough leftover for PEQ bands for specific areas. Works really well and faster. I think I just dove into this way to fast, trying run before I can even stand. LOL.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
It's a great app! I got my highest score from holding my phone next to my ear and adjusting real time. Right know I'm using REW auto eq with presets like a GEQ so I can continually adjust without running out of bands, then I have enough leftover for PEQ bands for specific areas. Works really well and faster. I think I just dove into this way to fast, trying run before I can even stand. LOL.

Yeah I think we (the proverbial car audio SQ community), should be working with them more on suggestions and improvements. I’ve talked to Andrew at Studio Six Digital before. Great guy. Possibly open for app improvement suggestions for the unique struggles we face in this silly hobby.

So far, I’ve gotten pretty proficient with RTA, FFT and Transfer Function, and messed only a little with LARSA, which has as close as I’ve seen in Audiotools something like the ETC, IR and waterfall plots as we see them in REW. I think we should introduce those guys to Raimonds at APL Audio and get TDA in there. Imagine that kind of timing measurement power done from a silly iPad with a UMIK-1 attached and a headphone output to aux of system. Combine that with something robust for real time phase like Transfer Function, except that one needs some work... Take my money.

·
Registered
53 Posts

How do you place the USB mic... at one place or take averages by moving the Mic ear to ear.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
If I'm using my own EQ Filters can I get a smoother response with lower Q's? Say around 2 instead of 4.3? I'm asking this "generally" speaking. I saw a video someone posted about the JL TWK, I don't remember who, i noticed the Q's we're set around 1.3. So that made me wonder.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Q determines how wide or narrow the EQ band is. A setting of 0 will pretty well encompass the entire spectrum (depending on your gain) while a setting of 10 will only affect a very small range of frequencies. So using Q of a smaller number will help with a wider peak in your curve. The woes of tuning but atleast you have all winter before the next comp too really dial it in

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
How do you place the USB mic... at one place or take averages by moving the Mic ear to ear.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yeah I've given up on multi-mic-position averaging for now seriously.. Until I can run a mic array properly in Smaart8, I'm just doing with what I have.. So there's the slow-go process of moving a mic in REW RTA, or multiple sweeps in REW measurement tool, which is even slower. Or there's instant gratification watching response change as I do it by just single-mic-position, AudioTools RTA or FFT on the iPad while the laptop is devoted just for the Helix DSP tool. I can say yes spatial averaging above the point of breakup (Schroeder frequency unique for your car) is in fact important. So after EQ work, I move the mic around a bit looking for something in mids and highs to jump out, then make decisions accordingly on strategic EQ work there.

It might not be ideal, but I'll tell you, just single mic, quick EQ work in my car at least, I was able to dial in a fairly good image that isn't drifting, wandering or ghosting, so it's in pretty decent balance I think.

And the best part is, changing to a different tonality curve is a matter of pulling it into AudioTools and just doing the process over with EQ and leveling. Process being 1) individual drivers, 2) pairs and sides, 3) overall.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
How do you add a target curve in AudioTools? I'm not seeing where to import...I really need to RTFM.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
How do you add a target curve in AudioTools? I'm not seeing where to import...I really need to RTFM.

You can setup audiotools to talk to your dropbox.. Upload your curve file into the appropriate folder and then in app, download to the app to use for reference curve.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Thanks man. Much appreciated. Im going to have to toy around with this for a bit.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Or there's instant gratification watching response change as I do it by just single-mic-position, AudioTools RTA or FFT on the iPad while the laptop is devoted just for the Helix DSP tool.
I've been wondering if REW could do this; RTA without constant averaging and maybe a response time adjustment to see real time eq changes. Been meaning to see if I can get it to work in this way but haven't had the time.

·
Registered
428 Posts
So when holding the mic near your head for measurements, the mic should point towards the windshield correct? It has been a while since I did this and I am having a major brain fart.....

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
So when holding the mic near your head for measurements, the mic should point towards the windshield correct? It has been a while since I did this and I am having a major brain fart.....
Depends. Mic cal files from a cross spectrum umik (what I'm using) have 90degree (mic pointed up) cal files too.

Afaik it doesn't make a huuge difference though..

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am using a UMM-6 mic with a calibration file from Dayton Audio. I guess whether holding the mic on a horizontal or vertical plane would not have a serious impact considering you base measurements for what side of the car the speaker you are measuring is located. Using the 5/3 ratio for left side speakers and the 6/2 ratio for right side..... guess my brain fart has been expelled....thanks bnae.

·
Registered
3 Posts
May I request copy of the "31-band Graphic/Parametric EQ FILTER (DSP)"? The link shared by Hanatsu is returning an Error (429) This link is temporarily disabled. The person who shared it hit their daily limit of traffic or downloads. Learn about traffic limits.

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,414 Posts
Mic cal files are not very important for Acoustic measurements. They are more aimed at the purpose of using a mic as a reference mic to calibrate other mics.

In fact, some of the most advanced measurement software like SysTune does not even have an option to load a cal file for a mic.

Also, in a car the cal file is less critical because of the close proximity of the mic to the speakers and the small size of the “room.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

361 - 380 of 455 Posts