DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a vehicle available over here and I have a customer who wants Xenons fitted to it. I understand that the DLR runs off the headlights-anyone any idea what complications I may have?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m not familiar with this car. It shouldn’t be a problem. All lights are powered thru relays, no semiconductors involved.
There is only one thing. If current car has DRL working in “half light” mode, there must be bypassed the ballast resistor.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I have Xenons on my FJ, DRL's work but lights are always on at full intensity.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
As I see, Cruiser owners disable the DRL to avoid running the HID’s ballast through the DRL ballast resistor.
Actually, the DRL will work. The low beam relay is being engaged in both cases. The difference is only that in DRL mode the negative side of the bulb is being connected to the ground thru the ballast resistor.
You can bypass this resistor by connecting these blue dual wire and white/black wire together.

Picture taken from this thread.
DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS (DRL): Disconnect - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum
Just do check that the white/black wire is the ground.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I forgot to say. Most aftermarket HI/LO kits come with its own relay or control box and car harness is used just as informing signal which beam is currently active. Then you don’t need in those complications, just plug and play.
You can warn your customer that his DRL will be a bit bright.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I forgot to say. Most aftermarket HI/LO kits come with its own relay or control box and car harness is used just as informing signal which beam is currently active. Then you don’t need in those complications, just plug and play.
Exactly how mine is wired, plug and play with full intensity low beams on DRL.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Exactly how mine is wired, plug and play with full intensity low beams on DRL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts