DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
271 Posts
I've been to a couple SPL competitions. The transformations of these vehicles into rolling sound transducers are truly astounding. I have gotten some jaw-dropping enjoyment from the sheer dedication to pushing the envelope of what can be done in a car. I've seen the windows and body work flexing. One car had three alternators! (Maybe they all do, but I only saw one with the hood open.) Most had filled in the majority of the passenger/cargo area with sub enclosures & gear. However, I cannot even one bit comprehend why anyone would want to do this. To each their own, but none of the SPL cars I've heard are remotely what I'd consider to be musically enjoyable - sound quality doesn't seem to be considered at all, just how far the SPL meter can be pushed. It's not difficult to reach the conclusion that being intrusive/annoying to everyone else on the road seems to be a motivating factor in many cases. On the flip side, I'm glad my (by SQ enthusiast standards) middling level of sound treatments makes my stereo hard to hear from outside the car, while being played pretty loudly on the inside. Last competition I went to, I left early because I didn't want to damage my ears, and frankly the sound was making me feel queasy - two things I actively try to avoid in my car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm right there with ya. I haven't been to any competitions. When I was younger I thought it was all about sub volume but then I saw the light. Any noise in the vehicle other than music drives me insane until I can figure out where it is coming from and how to stop it.

·
Registered
06 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
69 Posts
I was just at a local event this past weekend. Everything from tire sealant pissing out the front tires of vehicle that was probably sitting a few yrs to compete in just SPL contest and a few of his buddies in crappy spraybomb colors and pretty much winter beater status. Then a 10 to 16 of dailies in different stages of shape and less then a couple that be considered upper end complete builds that be sleepers for SQ and SPL

·
Registered
2007 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
207 Posts
From my experience it is a combination of immaturity and ignorance. It could also be a bit of the current generation that lives with a camera welded to their hands and quality sound isn't photogenic. My favorite example of this was in the early 2000's when I attended LSU. A local shop kept a spool of metal chain that upon request would be bolted underneath the vehicle for maximum..........filthy, grimmie, dirrty, trifflin, dutty, slappin, crusy, meezy, shiesty, gutta liquid funk fo yo trunk. Womp Womp Womp. No where in the world like the Red Stick! Laissez les bon temps rouler. Back then this type of flex was a different thing than the idiots today. If you aimed a camera at one of those cars you were liable to get shot.

Admittedly I'm a true bass head and any true bass head knows any flex cancels bass.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I feell the same about garbage ass Harleys with obnoxious stereos on them, I wanna drive with my windows down and not hear blaring ass garbage screaming at me as they ride by

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
since when DIYMA turned into SPL forum?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
It's just a different side of the scene. It literally is about building a box, sub, amp, and power combo that let's them peg out an spl meter. They can do hair tricks, shake bodywork, all that. You can do fun shutoff like make fountains of water or make a cup jump.

It is no different than people that spend a ton of money putting midranges up where they obstruct their driving view, putting an extra 300 pounds of deadener in, or spending thousands on niche speakers so that your car sounds x points better to a judge. It's a hobby. If it isn't for your, that's fine, but it works for them. They probably wonder why sq guys walk around judging everyone thinking they're better than them.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I wanted to say that there are some much more SPL oriented forums out there, not to mention FB SPL groups, where he will gain much more info on the subject.
I was in SPL scene years ago (beside SQ), set a couple of WRs in dBDrag, so I can say that I understand SPL scene too, also have a lot of friends that compete in SPL in numerous clases with numerous world records behind them, and none of them nor me didnt look for info on SQ oriented forums.
But Im always appreciate the stamina to get more knowledge about our sport.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Maybe some people get enjoyment out of the fun of listening to loud music, not just sitting quietly in their garage deciding if that one particular instrument sounds 3 inches off from it’s intended position

·
Premium Member
2006 Hyundai Sonata V6
271 Posts
I don't want to knock SPL, I just don't understand the appeal. (Not that anyone requires my understanding.) There are times when I'm sitting at a stoplight, playing my music fairly loudly, only to have it drowned out by the car behind me blaring the bass. I've actually pulled over to let them past just to be able to hear my own stereo, but that's no biggie and nothing to get upset about. Not too keen on some neighbors who crank it early in the morning in a residential area - I've been woken up by it, as have many others, which isn't very cool. However, I generally feel that whatever floats your boat, have at it. I did upgrade from an ID10 to an SQL-12, primarily to get additional bass output, so I suppose I'm not completely immune to seeking some loudness. There is certainly some overlap between the SQ & SPL crowds, I would think to the benefit of both. I think products like the SI SQL subs and similar are good examples of that.

Reactions: tfunk182

·
Listener of Music
4,121 Posts
For me it was and my group of friends (which held a bunch of state records at the time) it was about the science of it. Most of us didn't even listen to music in our spl vehicles. I was told I couldn't hit 150 out of the just the trunk of my maxima and I took it as a challenge, then I was hooked on pushing the envelope. None of us EVER showed off flexing panels. In fact we would have been embarrassed if our panels were moving more than a sheet in the wind. That would have been proof of inadequacies.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
For me it was and my group of friends (which held a bunch of state records at the time) it was about the science of it. Most of us didn't even listen to music in our spl vehicles. I was told I couldn't hit 150 out of the just the trunk of my maxima and I took it as a challenge, then I was hooked on pushing the envelope. None of us EVER showed off flexing panels. In fact we would have been embarrassed if our panels were moving more than a sheet in the wind. That would have been proof of inadequacies.
good stated(y)...it was challenge and science

1 - 15 of 15 Posts