DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone who has had or has some scanspeak illuminator (d3004-6020) knows about how fragile the terminals are on them. I broke the positive off on one accidentally and played around with it, fixed it pretty decently and then managed to break off again when installing it back in my sails along with the wire for the negative lead. No I'm not clumsy, yes it is very very tight where they have to go and not worth explaining. Bought a replacement, and it'll be here tomorrow thank god.

Long story short, anyone have some kind of trick that they do so that If I have to disconnect my speaker wires from them, I don't need to worry about the tabs coming loose and eventually breaking again? Soldering some wore directly to the lead with the opposite side have some kind of male connector crimped on and just connect the speaker wire to them using femal connectors or will some many connections add too much resistance? I don't want to buy another one so any ideas will be payed back fignoring you

·
Banned
251 Posts
Use smaller wire to solder to the tweeter and/or work fast. Get solder on the wire first. You can solder a smaller wire to the tweeter, strip it back about an inch and fold it back a few times to crimp in the larger connector. If possible put some solder on the wire before crimping.LND 2 Blue GTC Spade Crimp Connector Wire Terminal 1 4" MF Fully Insulated x 40 | eBay are the ones you want. They're insulated and better quality. Most run 16 gauge speaker wire so just buy 16 gauge connectors or whatever you need and run a foot or however much needed smaller wire to the tweeter.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've always soldered a pigtail to them and then add a connector of choice. Lots of cool little RC battery type connectors available that work well for this. There's been a few threads on it if you search the forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts