DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be running Focal 165V30 components in Q-Forms kick panels in my 2007 Accord, IE mids and tweets co-located.

I can choose the following crossover slopes on the passives. (Switchable)

6 dB/octave low-pass and 12 dB/octave high-pass at 3,700 Hz

- or -

12 dB/octave low-pass and 18 dB/octave high-pass at 5,000 Hz.

What would you all run and why?

Same question for rear deck also (running the same sets in my rear 6x9 openings with an adapter baffle)- what setting would you choose and why?

Will also be using Alpine Imprint.

I'm leaning toward 12 dB/octave low-pass and 18 dB/octave high-pass at 5,000 Hz since they will be co-located; I know shallower slopes are generally preferred when the drivers are farther apart.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Just listen and hear what sounds best....simple enough because it a switch on the xover

This is D.I.Y.M.A right? (Do It Yourself Mobile Audio)

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I will be running Focal 165V30 components in Q-Forms kick panels in my 2007 Accord, IE mids and tweets co-located.

I can choose the following crossover slopes on the passives. (Switchable)

6 dB/octave low-pass and 12 dB/octave high-pass at 3,700 Hz

- or -

12 dB/octave low-pass and 18 dB/octave high-pass at 5,000 Hz.

What would you all run and why?

Same question for rear deck also (running the same sets in my rear 6x9 openings with an adapter baffle)- what setting would you choose and why?

Will also be using Alpine Imprint.

I'm leaning toward 12 dB/octave low-pass and 18 dB/octave high-pass at 5,000 Hz since they will be co-located; I know shallower slopes are generally preferred when the drivers are farther apart.
Actually, in my experience, I prefer shallower slopes when drivers are close.

Agreed with azngotskills, just listen to what sounds good to you. You might need to use 1 side with 12dB and the other with 18dB...

Kelvin

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
You might need to use 1 side with 12dB and the other with 18dB...

Kelvin
This experiment probably will not tell the whole story. Besides, the frequency response, the crossover slope and frequencies will affect imaging. I think both drivers need to be used with the same slope for a good comparison. Even then, this will not be an easy test. It may take quite some time to find settings for best imaging for each crossover option.

My guess is that I would also prefer a high high pass frequency with sharp crossover slopes if tweeters are far from the woofers.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
This experiment probably will not tell the whole story. Besides, the frequency response, the crossover slope and frequencies will affect imaging. I think both drivers need to be used with the same slope for a good comparison. Even then, this will not be an easy test. It may take quite some time to find settings for best imaging for each crossover option.

My guess is that I would also prefer a high high pass frequency with sharp crossover slopes if tweeters are far from the woofers.
I suggested that one side be used with 12dB/oct slope and the other with 18dB/oct slope coz one side is more off-axis (close) than the other (far).
IMO, the OP should try 12dB/oct on the driver's side and 18dB/oct on the passenger's side...

Kelvin

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I'll try experimenting and report back.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Does anyone know how many watts RMS can be used with this cross-over?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts