DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically should I run Focal Utopia 6 or 7 "2 way or 3 way" in my altima coupe?

I will be running active using a MS8 and power will be coming from either audison, focal, or zapco.

Sub will be a Image Dyanmics Q 12.

Goal is to have a stealth as possible install for daily use. So I am not looking to make my A pillars look like they are 4 times bigger than stock.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
If you can find demo cars with the utopia 3 ways and the KRX 3 ways you should listen to both. I heard both in high end installs and just couldn't justify the utopia price after.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since the A-pillars are out, are you willing to do kick panels? If yes then 3-way, if no then 2-way.
No, sorry for the confusion. I can use A pillars as there is no airbags behind them. I think I would have to run them off axis to blend in a little better with a stock look.

If you can find demo cars with the utopia 3 ways and the KRX 3 ways you should listen to both. I heard both in high end installs and just couldn't justify the utopia price after.
HMMM interesting. Were both sets being ran active? On axis? Similar configuration and placement?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Very similar installs in similar cars by the same shop. A-pillar Mids and tweets, lower door midbass. KRX were active, Utopias used the crossblock. The same amps in both IIRC.
The same guy actually owned both cars...he preferred the KRX according to the shop owner.
I personally couldn't tell enough difference to justify the additional cost.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've only heard the Utopias in Home theater and was very impressed with the sound. I personally wouldn't pay 6 grand for #7's, but If you're one of those guys, you won't regret spending the money. 3 way will give you better dynamic range than 2way. If you have the right guy build the pillars, they'll just blend into the cars oem look. There's a buddy of mine on here (tnutt19) that has #7's in the a pillars in a newer BMW 535I and it looks very elegant. Search "2008 BMW 535I" on here and you'll find pictures of it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
And I may add that they sound spectacular and have not even been tuned yet. My installer can do your pillars and ship them to you, he has over 30 years in the business and knows a thing or two.
All the other advice is spot on too. Pm me if you want my number and I will answer any questions you may have about your setup, I have ran all those amps companies so I can give some reviews.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I must agree with you. I am a proud owner of KRX3'S which I am currently installing. I actually prefered the the KRX3'S over the utopia's IMO the Utopia's are too soft and laid back and the tweeter seems to lack detail.

I know you cant truly tell how a speaker sounds through you computer but check out the video below and you can get a rough idea of what I mean :rolleyes:

6.5" Speakers Battle Focal Special Utopia Be Kit No.6 vs Utopia Be 165W-RC vs 165KRX2 - YouTube

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, you see I am a auiophile, at home I own 1,000 original cd's and they are all ripped in apple lossless format.

I than have a set of Martin Logan Aerius speakers and a carver amp "getting ready to upgrade to a McIntosh"

This build is going to double as a demo car for my customers. So I want to only do it once.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must agree with you. I am a proud owner of KRX3'S which I am currently installing. I actually prefered the the KRX3'S over the utopia's IMO the Utopia's are too soft and laid back and the tweeter seems to lack detail.

I know you cant truly tell how a speaker sounds through you computer but check out the video below and you can get a rough idea of what I mean :rolleyes:

6.5" Speakers Battle Focal Special Utopia Be Kit No.6 vs Utopia Be 165W-RC vs 165KRX2 - YouTube
Nice demo, I like a full detailed sound where no one speaker is competing over another. Hence going active, I prefer a smoother sound, would you still recommend the KRX3's?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
BigAudioFanatic, if you're interested I have New Old Stock on Focal Utopia 165W's ( from 2002 ) Never been Powered or used for sale.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Nice demo, I like a full detailed sound where no one speaker is competing over another. Hence going active, I prefer a smoother sound, would you still recommend the KRX3's?
I would consider them smooth if installed\tuned properly. Do you have a dealer to purchase these from? If not PM a friend of mine is a authorized dealer, he will hook you up. I got mine for $1150.00

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts

I actually have another perception on how the Utopia sounds compared to the KRX set.
In your video, many people when listening to those sets would rank them as such:
#1 - KRX2
#2 - Utopia Be °6
# 3 - Utopia W-RC
Why? Seems like the KRX2 is a more detailed set, dynamic and all - the °6 seems like a middle ground - and the W-RC sounds muffled...

I actually feel differently and your video even shows this:
@ 0:26 - the electronic sound that slowly fades out is not distinct on the KRX2 and if you were listening to it in stereo, not hearing all the details, you will not be able to perceive this particular sound as getting farther and farther (perception of depth)
@ 0:20 and 0:33 - for that particular sound, you hear MORE details with the W-RC and is not being overpowered by the rest of the freqs. I would venture to say that the KRX2 set has more peaks in the band than the Utopia.

I feel a lot of people takes peaks in the details as false details. In a shop, I'm sure the K2P line would sell better than the Utopia line and not only due to the price difference ;)

For your info, I've been a Focal fan since 2000-2001 and which I had the guts to reach for my case, take my wallet out and buy a set of °7 :blush:

Kelvin

PS: in the video and for that particular sound, it seems like the Utopia W-RC has more details than the °6 which is totally possible. Now listening to other types of songs would probably show that the °6 has more details than the W-RC.
Based on the video, I would rank them
#1 - Utopia W-RC
#2 - Utopia Be °6
#3 - KRX2
although I'm sure it's not true :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I would consider them smooth if installed\tuned properly. Do you have a dealer to purchase these from? If not PM a friend of mine is a authorized dealer, he will hook you up. I got mine for $1150.00
Now that is a fantastic price, I may have to pm you about a set for my Dodge.:D

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
:confused: Guess you like heavy midbass and zippy highs then...

Kelvin
No I prefer a full range from my speakers. The other 2 in this video had a nice warm full range. The no6 sounded like you were listening to a tweeter playing on its own.

Not impressed. Although I would like to hear them in person.

And to think I I'm in the process of picking up some number 7s. Think I'm gonna have to have a good comparison hear before finalizing that deal.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I actually have another perception on how the Utopia sounds compared to the KRX set.
In your video, many people when listening to those sets would rank them as such:
#1 - KRX2
#2 - Utopia Be °6
# 3 - Utopia W-RC
Why? Seems like the KRX2 is a more detailed set, dynamic and all - the °6 seems like a middle ground - and the W-RC sounds muffled...

I actually feel differently and your video even shows this:
@ 0:26 - the electronic sound that slowly fades out is not distinct on the KRX2 and if you were listening to it in stereo, not hearing all the details, you will not be able to perceive this particular sound as getting farther and farther (perception of depth)
@ 0:20 and 0:33 - for that particular sound, you hear MORE details with the W-RC and is not being overpowered by the rest of the freqs. I would venture to say that the KRX2 set has more peaks in the band than the Utopia.

I feel a lot of people takes peaks in the details as false details. In a shop, I'm sure the K2P line would sell better than the Utopia line and not only due to the price difference ;)

For your info, I've been a Focal fan since 2000-2001 and which I had the guts to reach for my case, take my wallet out and buy a set of °7 :blush:

Kelvin

PS: in the video and for that particular sound, it seems like the Utopia W-RC has more details than the °6 which is totally possible. Now listening to other types of songs would probably show that the °6 has more details than the W-RC.
Based on the video, I would rank them
#1 - Utopia W-RC
#2 - Utopia Be °6
#3 - KRX2
although I'm sure it's not true :rolleyes:
+1 Make note the cabinets for each set of components are COMPLETELY different & likely deviate off recommended airspace. Moreover, How are all 3 sets playing simultaneously, off a Speaker selector box/switch?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts