DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i recently just got a audison bit one and am having a hard time deciding what crossovers to set. I'm using the following gear.

Focal ps165fx fronts (full active)
Focal ps165f rears
Focal Subp30 Sub.

At the moment it was just setup with basic xo's by the installer at
Front tweeters at 3250hz 12db
Front Woofers at 90hz-3250hz 12db
Rear Woofers 90hz-3250hz 12db
Subwoofer 90hz 12db

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi guys i recently just got a audison bit one and am having a hard time deciding what crossovers to set. I'm using the following gear.

Focal ps165fx fronts (full active)
Focal ps165f rears
Focal Subp30 Sub.

At the moment it was just setup with basic xo's by the installer at
Front tweeters at 3250hz 12db
Front Woofers at 90hz-3250hz 12db
Rear Woofers 90hz-3250hz 12db
Subwoofer 90hz 12db

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers
I have the same flax components up front and a 10" flax sub, which is the smaller version of your sub. The tweeters can play lower if you set your slopes steeper. Also, the woofers can play down lower too. So, I would start with this:

Sub: 80hz at 24db/Oct
Comp woofers: 80hz - 2700hz, 24db/Oct on both ends
Tweeters: 2700hz 24db/Oct

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey! How did you go with those crossover points? I’ve just picked up a pair of PS165FX that I’m planning to go active with as well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey, I've been using this setup for quite a while now and it sounds good. The tweeters can definitely play this low but recently I upgraded my DSP to mini DSP 8x12 DL which prompted me to retune the whole thing. One fabulous thing with Dirac is that it allows you to change the target curve very quickly, regenerate the filters and apply. Despite the fact that the tweeters can play low, they tend to ring which became apparent to me after swapping to new DSP. I moved my xover to 3kHz and it honestly sounds better. Have both set on presets and I've been going back and forth and I think I am settling in the new xover point. The difference is subtle but there.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Ziggy!

I use one of the smaller Minidsp units with DL in my home stereo, but I’m trying not to get that complicated with my car stereo too! Hahaha! Unless one comes up at a good price used...

Anyway, I’ve recently picked up a Pioneer HU with an active crossover function, so I’m going to change the PS165FXs to active. I’ve also got a sub in the trunk.

You seem to have a lot of experience with this set of component speakers... What are the final crossover values and slopes that you’ve come to?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Ziggy!

I use one of the smaller Minidsp units with DL in my home stereo, but I’m trying not to get that complicated with my car stereo too! Hahaha! Unless one comes up at a good price used...

Anyway, I’ve recently picked up a Pioneer HU with an active crossover function, so I’m going to change the PS165FXs to active. I’ve also got a sub in the trunk.

You seem to have a lot of experience with this set of component speakers... What are the final crossover values and slopes that you’ve come to?
Right now I have the following set, all LR4 slopes:

Sub: 80Hz LPF
Woofers: 80Hz HPF, 3kHz LPF
Tweeters: 3kHz HPF

Everything is acoustically time aligned to the sub which is in the trunk.

Like I said, the tweeters will play lower but given they are aluminum/magnesium, they ring when pushed too low which you will hear as harshness in its lower range. As always, try it out and let your ears decide. The woofers can extend comfortably beyond 3kHz. The passive xovers Focal ships with them are set at 3.6kHz with 18db/oct slope which tells you what Focal was thinking.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts