DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 148 Posts

· Super Moderator
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Laaaaaaaame
😂

After much research (I was able to peek behind the current a little), I was able to confirm what @Picassotheimpaler said earlier, the twiddler is best suited for a two-way set up. I’m sure it would be fine for a three-way also, but it would not out perform the TBM. I simply went with the best driver for what I’m trying to accomplish. I’m still going with the K2 Power M woofer and midrange. So there’s that…😉

· Registered
2,427 Posts
😂

After much research (I was able to peek behind the current a little), I was able to confirm what @Picassotheimpaler said earlier, the twiddler is best suited for a two-way set up. I’m sure it would be fine for a three-way also, but it would not out perform the TBM. I simply went with the best driver for what I’m trying to accomplish. I’m still going with the K2 Power M woofer and midrange. So there’s that…😉
So the new tweeters are just really good widebands huh....

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
For the price of three sets, you could probably buy some TBM's...lol

· Registered
2017 Toyota 86. Focal Utopia M, Audiofrog GB, Mosconi Zero
1,124 Posts
So the new tweeters are just really good widebands huh....
Can't say too much, but they are a bit different than a traditional wideband. In a good way imo.
In my opinion much more conducive to a car 2 way. Haven't had a chance to actually hear them yet though. Hopefully will have some at the shop to try out soon.

· Registered
2,427 Posts
Can't say too much, but they are a bit different than a traditional wideband. In a good way imo.
In my opinion much more conducive to a car 2 way. Haven't had a chance to actually hear them yet though. Hopefully will have some at the shop to try out soon.
Ok that's what I was hoping for.
Something with the response of a traditional wideband but off Axis. Like a tweeter.
They also look a good bit smaller. Overall.
I think I'm about to get the Alpine 2 way.
I'ma look back through the thread but do we know when these are at out?

· Super Moderator
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ok that's what I was hoping for.
Something with the response of a traditional wideband but off Axis. Like a tweeter.
They also look a good bit smaller. Overall.
I think I'm about to get the Alpine 2 way.
I'ma look back through the thread but do we know when these are at out?
Release date is next week…12/07.

I believe Focal’s website will be updated on that date with the specs/technical data, and the speakers will officially be available for order.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
Release date is next week…12/07.

I believe Focal’s website will be updated on that date with the specs/technical data, and the speakers will officially be available for order.
If I remember right orders can start the 7th and embargo is lifted on the 10th? Either way, next week

· Registered
351 Posts
I know most of you have watched the Five Star guys’ video from the Focal house at SEMA. They introduced the new Focal K2 Power M series. The existing K speakers will continue to be produced. These are a new line between the Ks and the Utopias.

They have a new 6.5” Woofer:

View attachment 356338
View attachment 356339

A new 3” midrange:

View attachment 356344
View attachment 356345

And a completely new tweeter/midrange speaker. I believe they said this speaker was capable of playing down to 250 hertz 😳:

View attachment 356347
View attachment 356349
View attachment 356348

Some of you know that I’m planning an upgrade to my truck. I had decided on the Focal KX3 woofer, K2 midrange, and the Utopia TBM tweeter for my new front stage. My shop called me tonight and asked if I’d like to wait a week before ordering and maybe pick up a set of these new speakers. Ugh. I’m torn.

Logic says these new woofers and midranges should have better SQ than the standard K2 line. Probably not as good as the Utopia counterparts, but better than the current K2s. The local Focal rep is raving about these new “tweeters”. They’re not really a tweeter…I’m not sure what you’d call them.

Here’s what I’m thinking. I’ll go with the new K2 Power M series Woofers and midranges, but stick with the TBM tweeters. With what I’m investing on this upgrade, I’m not in the mood to be a guinea pig. The TBMs are proven. Surely they wouldn’t design a better “tweeter” than the TBM and pair it with the non-Utopia speakers…right?

Just FYI, in case anyone was wondering, the new K2 Power M woofer and midrange will cost about the same as the existing KX3 and K2 midrange. Again, they will continue to make all existing K2 speakers. I believe they are introducing these speakers to be a more SQ compromise between the standard K2s (loud and powerful) and the Utopias (sweet and refined).

Would anyone elect to run the new “tweets” over the TBM? If so, what would be your reasoning? This has already been one of the hardest decisions of my life, and tonight it got even more convoluted.

I’ll start a new build log soon. I will be running the above components, once I decide on the tweeter (probably TBM), and using a single Focal E 30 KX 12” sub.

For amps, I’ve decided to use the JL Audio VXi series. I’ll have a VX600/6i on the tweeter, midrange, and rear speakers (75 watts per channel), a VX400/4 on the mid woofers (200 x 2 bridged @ 4 Ohms), and a VX1000/1i on the sub (1,000 watts at 2 Ohms). These amps will obviously handle all DSP duties also. I’ll also have the JL VXi-HUB linking all amps for ease of tuning.

I’m looking forward to this upgrade…just tell me to stop being stupid and go with the TBMs. Or, tell me why these new “tweeters” would/could be a better option.
Please use something different than the VXi amps if you're going to spend that kind of dough on those Focal drivers.

· Super Moderator
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Not trying to speak bad about vxi amps. I’ve never heard one. But it could be about class d vs class a/b. I myself prefer class a/b especially on some nice focal drivers.
I hear you, but class a/b was never going to be an option for this install. Amps will be across my back wall in a Ram crew cab truck. Not a lot of airflow and even less space. Thank god for class D technology, or I’d have to drive an SUV. I haven’t read anything really negative about the VXi amps, and there’s a lot of positive information out there.

I’m excited to check out their NextD2 technology and I like Asahi Kasei processing. Being able to use the VXi-HUB will be nice also.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
I hear you, but class a/b was never going to be an option for this install. Amps will be across my back wall in a Ram crew cab truck. Not a lot of airflow and even less space. Thank god for class D technology, or I’d have to drive an SUV. I haven’t read anything really negative about the VXi amps, and there’s a lot of positive information out there.

I’m excited to check out their NextD2 technology and I like Asahi Kasei processing. Being able to use the VXi-HUB will be nice also.
The mosconi pros give a remarkable amount of a/b power with a tiny footprint. But either way, I haven't personally heard the vxi amps, but I hear they are much better than the HD series.

· Super Moderator
963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The mosconi pros give a remarkable amount of a/b power with a tiny footprint. But either way, I haven't personally heard the vxi amps, but I hear they are much better than the HD series.
We’ll find out soon. They are paid for and ordered. I won’t hesitate to replace them if they disappoint. I’ve looked at the Mosconi amps, and they would be on a short list. My tuner has an immense amount of experience using JL’s software, and I’ve used their software in the past. This contributed to my ultimate decision. They also have the JL MAX setup that will make the initial tuning more efficient.

21 - 40 of 148 Posts