DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few months, I've become increasingly dissapointed with my Focal Polyglass v1 6.5 comps. They have extreme difficulty playing anything near 2khz, and ringing becomes commonplace with high vocals and guitars. Additionally, they lack the impact that I've experienced in a few installs that I've done with ID OEM's.

I began with replacing the focal tweeters with some morel mdt-39's. I am very happy with those so far. Playing at 2.5khz with a 12db slope, they are very smooth, and are much easier on the ears as the Focal tweeters are. However, this replacement has exposed the polyglass mid's weaknesses even more.

So, I have narrowed down my replacement choice down to the Seas ER18RNX reed cone 7" mid. Just wanted a few other opinions before I pull the trigger, as I'm wondering if they would be a good choice that would meet my desire for more impact, and ability to play high (~ 2khz - 2.5khz @ 12db) without ringing painfully. I'm not necessarily interested in anything that is going to exaggerate the low end, as I'm not a bass head, but something that will make the music more dynamic down low.

I'm using a DIYMA R12, and the Seas will be seeing ~ 140watts RMS @ 4 ohms, which I suppose is about 70ish watts @ 8 ohms. Would this be underpowering the speaker? I was happy with the Polyglass' output, but it is rated a bit more efficient @ 93db at 2.83v, whereas the Seas is 88.5.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm running my ER18RNX currently from about 60 watts (@8ohms) from a bridged PPI4240. The output is adequate.

After much farting around with crossover frequencies I have them crossed to a set of Seas T25A's at 1600/24db. They play higher, but in my install, (doors not sealed completely yet) the midbass sounds pretty lean if I do. I have played them @ 2400/12db and they were well behaved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts