DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I’ve currently got Focal PS165FX component speakers powered by a RF600x4 and a Pioneer HU in a small convertible with a sub in the trunk.

I’m upgrading to a Pioneer 80prs HU and JL Audio 900/5 amp and planning to run the Focals active with time alignment which should be a big improvement.

However, I’ve got the chance to buy a pair of lightly used Focal ES165KX2 (with the TKMX tweeter and which is much more expensive than the flax components) or a cheaper pair of older used Focal 165K2P (with the TN52 tweeter). Will either of these be a big upgrade? Or are the flax components a sweet spot in the line up?

Thanks for your input!
Taz.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
The K2 / KX2 woofer can handle a fair bit of power... but they also require a fair bit of power to really make them sing.
The real improvement would be the TKMX tweeter. It is substantially better than the aluminum/magnesium tweeter in the Flax line.

With that said; I don't believe the HD900/5 will produce enough power to make the speaker upgrade worth it...
100 watts to the Flax woofer is fine. Then, use whatever you were going to spend on the K2, and just buy better tweeter pair.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Or these:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Adding to my above comment...
Keep the Flax woofers, and buy a pair of these:
Thanks for the advice! I’ve started hunting for a pair of the Scanspeak tweets. I’ve also found some posts about making pods for them with PVC end caps, so I’ll have to give that a go.

Since I’m planning to go active, maybe I’ll ditch the Focal component set and sell them. Any suggestions for a good 6.5” to pair with the Scanspeak?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Or these:
I enquired about the GB10s and they sold before I could get back to the seller. I’ll keep an eye out for another pair though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve ordered a pair of Scanspeak D3004 tweeters. Just considering replacing the mid-woofer now.

Any thoughts on the Scanspeak 18W/4531 or the Audiofrog GS60?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts