DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Has anyone got any experience with the Focal Utopia 33WX2 sub?

What I would like to know is which box type will sound best sealed or ported?

And what size?

Manual recommends 45lt ported - it does not recommend a sealed spec.

What do you guys suggest...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was wondering the exact same thing. Almost all literature states ported yet I found in the catalogue it now says sealed or ported between 35-45 litres. I'm going to be installing two shortly and weighing up between ported and sealed. I am focussing on SQ so will probably stay with sealed. Apparently, 45 litres has been used sealed though a suggestion to go bigger has been made. 55-60l even. Hard to say though as no one has actually formally recommended a sealed enclosure for this sub.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering the exact same thing. Almost all literature states ported yet I found in the catalogue it now says sealed or ported between 35-45 litres. I'm going to be installing two shortly and weighing up between ported and sealed. I am focussing on SQ so will probably stay with sealed. Apparently, 45 litres has been used sealed though a suggestion to go bigger has been made. 55-60l even. Hard to say though as no one has actually formally recommended a sealed enclosure for this sub.

Well when you do install them let us know what you used and how they sounded

·
Registered
4 Posts
Will do.

I am running the following:
Focal 165W-RC off 2 x Arc 2075SE amps
Focal 33WX2 x 2 off 1 x Arc 2300SE amp
Either Arc PS8 or Alpine PXA-H800 processor.

Looking forward to hearing it finished. The Sub enclosure is the last thing to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I loaded up the specs in WinISD and it is suggesting a box size of 24 litres per sub, which seems very low. I will investigate it further.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It’s been a while but I have just removed the focals. They were in sealed enclosures about 30l each. Didn’t like it at all. Way too punchy. Going to go ported in the next build.

·
Registered
29 Posts
it is also exactly my case. I had them in sealed box each 40 liters . now i will try them with vented 45 liters each. I was happy with 40 liters sealed but want to try in 45 vented.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Be careful your not using the enclosure too much as a means to do EQ work. Your GD may get out of control and that expensive sub might sound not so expensive

If it’s too punchy (which to me sounds like it has good transient response but poor low extension) was any eq used to tame the peak that in the 50-60s ?

And what was the QTC of the sub and box? It sounds like qtc might no over 1 and no eq work. This sub should sound great. Although 30l is sorta small I do agree, it depends what qtc is

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am not well experienced about qtc and other terms i dont understand :(

I want to have max power and short bass fast bass. I like the quality but the power is not sufficient. I have 2 pcs 33wx2 in 40 liters each box sealed. I am not sq because sq is not powerfull and loud i want LOUD AND POWERFULL FAST BASS. what specs should be the box best. Vented boxes are normally louder but they are not controlled bass like sealed box? Evrybody installs these subs in sealed boxes 😔

·
Registered
29 Posts
winisd software is a great tool who can use it. in turkey they even cannot speak english they just install if you like you use if it is broken you r f.cked. there is no guarantee at all. I had 3 kit no 7 passive sets and one kit no 6 set and one kit no5 set. All hadto be perfect harmonic but NADA! i have 7 thesis amplifier 3 of them are burned and i can not use them anymore. They were brand new now all fuc.ed. This is why now i want to learn these things. BUT FOR SURE next car will have the top version of oem. I like bmw and such as logic 7 is the best option. no need to do something else. but now i still have to use my existing for next 2 years until M440d GC is on market.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Be careful your not using the enclosure too much as a means to do EQ work. Your GD may get out of control and that expensive sub might sound not so expensive

If it’s too punchy (which to me sounds like it has good transient response but poor low extension) was any eq used to tame the peak that in the 50-60s ?

And what was the QTC of the sub and box? It sounds like qtc might no over 1 and no eq work. This sub should sound great. Although 30l is sorta small I do agree, it depends what qtc is
If memory serves the QTS out the box is like 0.67 it needs a big box if you going sealed - I think Ported might be best but the F3 would be around 45hz in a ported enclosure - which sounds a bit high even with cabin gain it may not go lower than 35hz

These subs are probably not suitable if very low end is what you want - but very accurate from 40hz up so more like a HIFI type bass

Just my 2cs

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Did a full analysis in another thread...

·
Registered
29 Posts
subwoofer should start as low as possible and strong as possible and keep the linearity. Otherwise i have 2pcs audison thesis 16,5cm (55hz to 500hz) on the front doors plus audison under seat woofers (40hz to 100hz) and subwoofers MUST start lowest possible. lowpass 80 forexample?

·
Registered
29 Posts
And this 45 liters is net liters except the subwoofer. How can i know what is the subwoofer volume? Is there any spec for this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
omg this is so complicated... vent size is also important.... diameter and depth and the volume of the box are all related to each other. I want just one rule for me to proceed. Howmany liter box vented or sealed for max rms power and linear sound vent details for me. Then i will proceed please help me :(

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I have only experiences with Focal Audiom WX27,.... I decided to go ported in approx 40liter enclosure...... option was also a bit bigger, but I decided to go with a bit more flat impedance curve from smaller enclosure,.... it performed awesome with decent output for such small driver and was very tone rich

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
omg this is so complicated... vent size is also important.... diameter and depth and the volume of the box are all related to each other. I want just one rule for me to proceed. Howmany liter box vented or sealed for max rms power and linear sound vent details for me. Then i will proceed please help me :(
if you are within 10% of target volume you will not hear the difference with ported enclosure, so you can easily estimate approx speaker volume displacement (and all other displacement subvolumes like port and braces). As far as port goes, you need to look out for air speed trough the port (lower air velocity with bigger port crossection - the rule of the tomb - make port diameter at least 1/3 of speakers cone diameter and then monitor air speed which should be bellow 20-30m/s, (4" dia port should be sufficient for 12" driver, if you can get 5" aero it would be perfect), it also helps if you use aeroport endings on both sides of the port which will lower port noise and reduce port compression, and enough clearance infront/behind and arround port. Make enclosure sides in golden rathio,....use foam on 3 different sides BUT not on the baffle side.

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you are within 10% of target volume you will not hear the difference with ported enclosure, so you can easily estimate approx speaker volume displacement (and all other displacement subvolumes like port and braces). As far as port goes, you need to look out for air speed trough the port (lower air velocity with bigger port crossection - the rule of the tomb - make port diameter at least 1/3 of speakers cone diameter and then monitor air speed which should be bellow 20-30m/s, (4" dia port should be sufficient for 12" driver, if you can get 5" aero it would be perfect), it also helps if you use aeroport endings on both sides of the port which will lower port noise and reduce port compression, and enough clearance infront/behind and arround port. Make enclosure sides in golden rathio,....use foam on 3 different sides BUT not on the baffle side.
5" aero means the lenght of the vent i guess?
earoport ending means i should use both side of the vent like we see outside of the box.
I have to secure vent in the box that it doesnt move or fall so i will attach to somewhere inside end.
I will use a foam in the box but i dont know which side is baffle side?

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
I am not well experienced about qtc and other terms i dont understand :(

I want to have max power and short bass fast bass. I like the quality but the power is not sufficient. I have 2 pcs 33wx2 in 40 liters each box sealed. I am not sq because sq is not powerfull and loud i want LOUD AND POWERFULL FAST BASS. what specs should be the box best. Vented boxes are normally louder but they are not controlled bass like sealed box? Evrybody installs these subs in sealed boxes 😔
I think you have the wrong idea about SQ as well , SQ can get loud as well , but the sound quality of the sub is what your after , which will play everything just right, tight, fast , low bass

do you have a deck? Or dsp
If you can turn down 62hz like 10db if you have a Kenwood or 50hz on a pioneer deck and increase sub gain a tad to compensate it should play lower and not be so much hard hits only

download winisd and design your box , put the parameters in for your sub and determine qtc , it’s a easy DIY project that you’ll learn a shot ton on what’s happening

1 - 20 of 22 Posts