DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm running my stage off a p99rs. Fully active focal utopia no7 with a 21wx. Ive got the 21 going rolled off to 80, midbass 80 to 250, mids 250 to 3.15 tweets from here up roll off, everthing is on a 36db slope as I want as little overlap as possible. I have no frequency gap between any speaker as I figured the 36 slope would kill all overlap fast. Midbass in doors, mid and tweet together above dash. Opinions? Im a super critical listener I don't want warmth I want maximum detail

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
How does it sound? Have you got the drivers in phase? Starting with two drivers at a time and then two sets at a time etc.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a denon calibration cd and theyre all in phase. No need to reverse anything which I actually thought a little odd. It is unbelievably crisp. I'm looking for some opinions on 36db slopes as its hand to find ppl using them. 24 seems to be the universal standard. But surely 36 offers even better results with no need to leave a frequency gap between steps and no fear of doubling of frequencies. I may drop my mid basses to 60 to overlap low for more grunt, these speakers never get muddy. Also since my mid and tweet are mounted so close I thought the 36 slope would be perfect

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I would drop sw and midbass drivers to 60Hz, I understand that you want as little overlap as possible, but for mid and high xo I would at least try with flatter filters, and I would try to set xo point between mid and tw higher ...somewhere in 5-6 kHz range......BUT it is hard to give any advice without hearing system first.

Second .. you should try to set your TA/phase as exact as possible, even smal deviations from optimum setting result in lack of microdetails and slightly different timber.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey dude, I did play with the tweet frequency for about half a year n came to the sweet spot being at 3.15 they Be tweets can go as low as 2khz comfortably. the detail they give at the 3.15 is just something mesmerising once they're eq'd right. Also played with the 60 up n down, still undecided! why do you recommend a flatter slope? Whats the reasoning behind this? Really wanting to know, especially since my mid and tweet are less than a cm apart I thought having a 36 would be the best way to make sure they share no sound

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After a lot of time playing with this tweeter, (Which is no normal tweeter) It sits comfortably around 3.15, anything higher and I don't feel like I'm getting the $10k worth from the system (there is a massive detail drop when the tweet plays above this magic mark) not that the 3w2's aren't fantastic, but its a material issue, glass composite vs beryllium, the glass just cant hack it. Aaaand the tweets off naturally at 40khz, so the 20khz roll off of our ear allows it to be un passed and not a single high tone is unheard, they're I would argue the best tweeters in the world at the moment. Definitely the gem of this system .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts