DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon a set of Focal Utopia Be Nº 7 3ways in great shape, no cross block though. I was looking for a pair of 8"-6" midbass speakers for my 21 Audi S5 doors and after a bit of talking, the local chain store manager sold me the speakers off the wall for $750. I own the Utopia TBM's and 3.5WM's that I paired with another 6" midbass in my prior vehicle, enjoyed them very very much.

I couldn't find much comparing the Utopia Be Nº 7 kit to newer Focal Utopia M's. For discussion sake, lets say they will be paired with Mosconi Pro amps and a Helix Ultra and all tuning install etc being equal in a perfect environment. Is it literally just splitting hairs at this point? I wanted to save and get the 6wms and Sub10wm to get the dream set up but if the old Utopia's are just as good, why not just keep the set and sell the newer ones?

Side comment: These are the speakers, the manager of local retail chain said they were "Focal 6's". I said I think they are the Utopia Be 7 kit, to which I was given an eyeroll and told that they didn't sell those and I was mistaken. I am only an enthusiast and far from a pro, but I think I got a good deal.
Wood Electronic instrument Audio equipment Automotive tire Cosmetics
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Alloy wheel Automotive wheel system
Rim Audio equipment Gas Auto part Circle
Hand Finger Gadget Wrist Audio equipment

· Registered
2,665 Posts
This makes me wonder if I should talk to my local Focal dealer. They have literally had the same speakers on the soundboard for cant tell you how many years at this point. I noticed it recently when I picked up a few odds and ends. I asked one of the sales guys, doesnt focal have several new models. He basically said we have them, just never changed the board out.

· Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This makes me wonder if I should talk to my local Focal dealer. They have literally had the same speakers on the soundboard for cant tell you how many years at this point. I noticed it recently when I picked up a few odds and ends. I asked one of the sales guys, doesnt focal have several new models. He basically said we have them, just never changed the board out.
If you are near a Car Toys, its worth an ask.

· Registered
6,546 Posts
Those are nice
Really nice

The Ms are nicer sure , but these are still very nice…… that tweeter is excellent

The mid is good but poor power handling compared to the M

And the 6 is good, not as good off axis as the M but still super good speaker…

I wouldn’t be ashamed to put those in my car

· Registered
3,070 Posts
I would say that the midrange is the weakest link in this system, but overall, it is still a very very good set of speakers. Midbass is pretty good to say at least like all their midbass drivers, tweeter might be a bit problematic with low set HP...use approx 5k hi pass filter with them

· Registered
2,477 Posts
I had that set in a truck I competed with back in 2013/14….they were excellent back then and I have no reason to think they wouldn’t be just as good now.
I ran them active off a pair of Mosconi AS 200.4’s along with the sub. The guy I sold the truck to said it wasn’t loud enough and knowing nothing about audio he maxed out the gains on everything and blew all 6 drivers in the front stage within a month. lol

· Registered
233 Posts
@surfsq - Man what a bummer, i so wish i would have seen your posting back in June at which point i could have confirmed that these are indeed fakes... But to be 100% certian how about you send them to me for in person verification and i will provide a $500 "deposit" :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts